A glutton for punishment. LOL

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Today, I picked up a 1958 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp (5516)with a tank for 40 bucks.:(
I must have renewed my addiction, one more time. It is complete and everything seems tight, but the guy I bought it from seized it up while he was out fishing with it. He claims the line on the tank was leaking and ran it too lean. Personally, I think he ran it too lean on oil and the pistons got stuck. No biggie. I can get a big hammer and drive the old ones out and rebuild 'er with new pistons.:D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: A glutton for punishment. LOL

Sounds like fun...how 'bout a pic?

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, thought I might raise a brow or two. LOL :D I might see if I can get it freed up before I pull it down. It's likely the pistons are badly scored though. It's a pretty decent looking motor and would be worth fixin. Even the prop looks good, so it looks like it wasn't abused too much. I got a tank in the deal, so I figured I could use that with the old CD-12 I picked up a couple weeks ago. I'll look more into it, tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll find a renewed ignition system in it too.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Tank alone is worth that around here. Bring her back to life.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, just an update. I went over this motor and found that it had a connecting rod come loose inside. The pistons seem to move freely, but the crank stops at one point. The good news of it all, it looks like this motor has low hours on it and it doesn't look like it has ever seen any salt water use. All the moving parts are reasonably tight working order. All the powerhead screws came out pretty easy. So, this summer, I will probably pull 'er down and see what it will take to bring it back to life.

Attachments

• 20110214124102.jpg
    20110214124102.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20110214124339.jpg
    20110214124339.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Great deal! It looks really nice!

Mas

Badburn

Seaman Apprentice

Nice find! $40? Thats crazy. Around here in Cali that would've been listed on craigslist as a collectors item that just needs a little "TLC" for $1400.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's a great deal on a very nice motor, congrats:)

I have the Johnson 5.5 and would love to find a rude to go with it. Good luck with the project.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That's a great deal on a very nice motor, congrats:)

I have the Johnson 5.5 and would love to find a rude to go with it. Good luck with the project.

Yea, I picked up a 1955 Johny last month. :D

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

... Personally, I think he ran it too lean on oil and the pistons got stuck. No biggie.

I looked at pretty much the same motor, a 1958 Johnson 7?. Rather than asking the seller if he used 24:1 gas / oil mix, I asked what mix to run it on. He said that he ran it on 50:1 :eek: At least he only used the motor for trolling. At any rate I bought the motor because the compression was still even between cylinders, it pumped water and had no hot spots on the head or block, plus it came with the original small pressurized fuel tank. I brought it home and ran some 16:1 mix through it before doing anything else. The pistons have no scoring so I guess the low stress idling & trolling use helped the motor dodge a bullet. It had been used lightly for 2 seasons before I got it; prior to that it was still with the (late) original owner who evidently knew the proper mix ratio.

Anyway, nice score there Zephyr :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hey TN. Long time no see. :D

Yea, it's funny that you would mention that. The very first Johnson I got was a 1954 5.5hp and my brother-in-law had it. He said that he ran it 50:1 so I followed suit when I started using it. I'm amazed that it held up, knowing what I know now. I guess if the motors are worn out enough, they're less likely to come unglued, with the leaner ratio. :D Of course, at trolling speeds, it would be easier on them too and less spark plug fouling.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As long as the loose rod didn't ventilate the crankcase, you should be able to breath new life into her. I picked up a pair of 5.5s a couple years ago and between the two I was able to get one good one going. Both had busted rods. Each donated their one good rod and piston, installed in the one good block. Only thing I had to come up with was a crankshaft as both had scuffed journals where the rod broke... It's now one of my favorite motors - a 1956 Johnson CD-13!

When you get further into yours, let me know, as I think I have a few other powerhead parts leftover...

Attachments

• Johnson_1956_5pt5_0629.jpg
    Johnson_1956_5pt5_0629.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson_1956_5pt5_0630.jpg
    Johnson_1956_5pt5_0630.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Sweet. Thanks. :D I may have found a crank and rod set here locally, but I'll definately keep it in mind.

Nice little motor you have there. I can't wait to get into my old Johnson CD-12 too. It already runs good, but compression is kinda low and uneven, so I'm going to go through it too.