Name this 4.3L engine!?!

BossHogg

Cadet
Hello, new to the forum, new to owning a boat really. I always had a neighbor with a boat before and now I guess I am that neighbor.

1. Engine year, make, type, model, and serial number if possible.

It is a 99 Chaparral, 180LE, Alpha1, Thunderbolt IV ignition, and I wish I had an engine serial number...

riser4.jpg

The top of that plastic cover came into contact with the seat above it and ground it off. I can't find the one that is supposed to either be underneath it or on the block by the starter. I am open to ideas, the only real reason I need it is because I am looking to replace those exhaust manifolds, which by the way, look strange to me because I was expecting them to be in two pieces. Anywho, any help appreciated.

BossHogg

Cadet
Re: Name this 4.3L engine!?!

Ok, been reading more, will any two piece manifold and 4 inch risers fit this Bad Johnny? Or, I guess, the better question is how important is finding that serial number?

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, no way someone can tell you serial number by looking at picture....you CAN get serial number by looking at the serial number on the transom sheild on outside of back of boat....as long as it is original, which it should be....give that number to the merc dealer and he can look it up easily on mercnet....they were sold as package. this is a carburated 4.3...it is the base engine of the 4.3 line...very good engine for fresh water, for salt water i wouldn't have an inboard but you've already done it....just be sure to flush it to the level of being paranoid...and rev it on the hose too. don't just idle...salt is hard to move....rev...let water catch up....rev....etc,etc....made a lot of money over the years from salt damage to these....used to live close to where you are....good engine if you control the corrosion....check out a neutra-salt system(volvo dealer)...volvo's are basically g.m.'s you can use the system on your engine....will save your ***.
good luck

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, plenty of choices for risers on this engine....just be sure that risers are tall enough to be above waterline outside boat AT ALL TIMES....say if motor quit on plane and came down at angle with wave catching up....you don't want water to come back thru risers into combustion chamber....four inch should be good on this though, just make sure.

BossHogg

Cadet

Thanks Yamatech, good info and tips for the corrosion issue. I hate to Christen this new boat to salt water -- it has never seen it before. Yeah, I personally didn't want an I/O boat, especially being in the salt water around here. However, marriage is like warfare, the enemy and my wife both get a vote. I bought it fully expecting to have to replace those exhaust manifolds and I would only get 3-5 years out of the new ones I put on. I am only planning on being here for 3-5 years, so lets hope this boat and engine can hold up. I found this website on ebay. Do you know of anyone that has had good luck with these guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V6-1...2643113QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your engine is just a chevy 4.3L v6 with some marine specific goodies thrown on. Do you have any reason to think your manifolds currently need replacement? If I were you I think I'd really look into changing to a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger to keep the saltwater out of your motor.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I donno anything about that ebay seller, but he's offering exactly what you need....

Those "Batwing" manifolds were Junk the day they were cast...
I know several motors that were trashed by 'em leaking...

You'll have to measure your Y-pipe to know if it's 4" or 3"...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would have to say you have a 1998 engine. Not uncommon in boats at all.
The one piece manifolds ended in 98, in 99 the 4.3 went to the dry joint type manifolds and risers.
As far as your serial number goes, there is a tag by the starter that has the model and SN of your engine. Shown in the picture below. A digital camera works wonders if it's tight in there. See thumbnail below.

In the past, it was necessary to pull the engine and change the exhaust Y pipe to use the 2 piece manifolds and risers.

Now, there is a kit to change them. Here is the 2005 service bulletin covering that conversion kit.

http://www.4shared.com/document/ffw61HtC/43_Merc_exhaust_conversion.html

Attachments

• Merc SN Location.jpg
    Merc SN Location.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0