2002 Mercury Outboard Pump, running rough

keitharcher

Recruit
I have a 2002 Mercury Outboard Pump that is running rough.

0T512660

After starting it's idle is fairly low and will smoke quite a bit even after being warmed and restarted...

As I pick up speeds its starts to make a popping noise sort of like a lean pop or a clanking noise in the motor. After it warms a bit (a mile or two of running) or on warmer days it happens much less. But once I climb over 4300-4400 RPM's it runs like a top at any time cold or warm...

Ideas?

Keith

keitharcher

Recruit
Re: 2002 Mercury Outboard Pump, running rough

I have a 2002 Mercury Outboard Pump that is running rough.

0T512660

After starting it's idle is fairly low and will smoke quite a bit even after being warmed and restarted...

As I pick up speeds its starts to make a popping noise sort of like a lean pop or a clanking noise in the motor. After it warms a bit (a mile or two of running) or on warmer days it happens much less. But once I climb over 4300-4400 RPM's it runs like a top at any time cold or warm...

Ideas?

Keith

Anyone??

Carbs?
Fuel system?
Plugs? Plug Wires?

What's odd is when I run it with Stabill it cuts the noises in half...

Keith

keitharcher

Recruit
Re: 2002 Mercury Outboard Pump, running rough

Anyone??

Carbs?
Fuel system?
Plugs? Plug Wires?

What's odd is when I run it with Stabill it cuts the noises in half...

Keith

Still at it, trying to fix this problem.....

Changed the plugs this morning and took it out for a run. Started good idled a bit better and ran decent for the first minute once I cracked it open. But it's back to that "popping" noise at 3000-4300 rpms. I get above 4300 RPM's and it runs clean and smooth.

Ideas?

Keith