spark

FAT RAT

Cadet
i have a 1997 50 hp johnson model tleds been hoving trouble with fire to the plugs one day it would crank right up the next time it would have no fire, i replaced the power pack and first time i tried it fired right up,i tried again in about an hour this time it had no spark.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: spark

Have you checked your kill switch, any loose grounds on the pack,coils and ect ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A TLEDS is a '96, FR. There might be a difference, but I doubt it affects you present situation.

I agree with boobie. You have a wiring/connection problem. Hope you didn't throw the old power pak away. :(

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The best thing to do at this point is to get an OMC factory service manual and follow the trouble shooting procedures in there. Lots of good info and pics.

SparkieBoat

Captain

break out the OHM meter and start testing..be sure to check all connections

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If he is going to break out the ohm meter I would still recommend a good service manual for correct procedures.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Few simple things to test.

Start by locating the black/yellow wire at your power pack. That is your kill wire. Disconnect it from the pack and re test your spark. If it has returned, your stop circuit has a fault. Possible locations are the key switch, harness or your shift switch.

The above is likely your issue, but in the odd chance that it is not, disconnect the yellow wires from the rectifier and re test spark. If it returns, let us know and we will need to test the rectifier further.

Final thing to look into is the cranking RPMS. You need at LEAST 250 RPM to get that girl to fire. If you're not getting that RPM, start at your battery, by ensuring that it is fully charged and load tested. Check all connections to ensure they are clean and tight. Check related wiring for nicks, cuts, abrasions or rot, and replace as needed.

Let us know what you find.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am having a similar issue and my mechanic told me to remove the plugs and turn the motor over with the starter and see of there is spark now...

on mine it came back. that ment i wasnt getting the RPMS that hightrims says is needed to make spark .

as for the stop circuit wire( yellow-black) is there a way to just unplug it at the motor??, because i pulled mine off the switch itself on the control....

seems the connections out back at the more are all plugs..

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Bob, you should have the right tools to take the black/yellow wire out of the plug but you still have to put the plug back together to make the rest of the system work.

WT2

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 91 70 hp and I had a similar problem. I went through all the fun stuff as you are doing but then I checked either the nuetral position and or the saftey switch associated with the key and it turned out to be one of those. I by passed the saftey switch (shouldn't say that but I don't plan on falling out of my boat in the near future) and did something with the nuetral position and have not had that problem again. Good luck

FAT RAT

Cadet

guys it was the power pac after all i went back to start checking all the wireing and noticed that when i put the new pac on i had one of the wires between the pac and the block and when i had tightened the bolts it frayed the wire, shorting out the pac.after i fixed the wire she has been purring like a kitten. i just want to thank all of you for all of the great info everyone has given me. thanks again!