Putting in a new floor 1966 starcraft jet star

I bought a 1966 starcraft Jet Star. The Hull is very good shape Transome is strong.
But the floor is BAD It's winter now and it's snowed in but I'm looking forward to working on it.
Ok the floor is really soft and I'm going to replace it should I do it myself or have a shop work on it?
I plan on keeping the boat for the next 2yrs at least.
Do I have to put marine grade wood in or can I go with green treat?
I bought new Back2Back seats for it. and plan on putting in a private potty area a flip up in the back. What do you think?
I have a shop That could do the work but what would be the price for a floor?
I don't want to get ripped off!

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3m43o33l85Z25U45S4aaoe1a333dfdef31e5f.jpg
    3m43o33l85Z25U45S4aaoe1a333dfdef31e5f.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Putting in a new floor 1966 starcraft jet star

Welcome to iboats.

Well first .......... DO IT YOURSELF!! :D

Here is an index of a FEW of the Starcraft restorations http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090 which will give you some direction.

It is not hard work and it is very fulfilling. DIY will save you a bundle and even though it is winter there are things you can start on such as gathering supplies and reading.

RULE #1 NEVER use pressure treated since the chemicals in PT wood react and eat aluminum! ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! You have just stumbled upon the largest group of Starcraft enthusiasts on the 'net. We'd love to see some pictures of your rig. Bob already posted the link to all the SC restorations. There's even some Jets/Jet Stars in there. Good luck with your project.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

X3 what Bob said there^^^^^^^^^

Click that link and you'll find all the info you'll need to complete the job yourself for the cost of some plywood and a little epoxy. You can totally do it!

Welcome!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the site, tons of good help here for tin can restorations:)

You will be the first to install a potty on a runabout:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The Jet Star is comparatively easy to work on. If you're inclined to do the work yourself, I'd say go ahead. I did it last year, and as long as you can use your old floor pieces for templates, or trace templates from them before you remove them (that's what I had to do because the floor came out in mostly small handfuls), it will be a piece of cake. My thread shows how I did mine. Don't use PT wood! Exterior ply, protected with a good finish, will do.

Good luck and welcome...got any pictures you can post? Always curious to see Jet Star pics for ideas.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, exterior plywood (use the old one for template), some resin to seal it up, and you are good to go. Easy peezy.....

GT2010

Seaman

Just follow the instructions and threads of the many posts on here and you can do it and have fun as well. I have never owned a boat before and am moving right along with my resto with the help of everyone on here.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She looks just like the one in my garage, excellent!

Have fun and welcome!

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

howdy

I am new to this forum too. It is a great place to get info and advice. I won't offer any because I certainly am not an expert on any of it, I do suggest you do some research on your own.

PT wood has evolved rapidly. Not for us boaters but for contractors. they don't like their fasteners to disintegrate nor do they want to buy the expensive corrosive resistant kind. The industry left treating with chromated copper arsenate because it was killing the kids then went to alkaline copper quartenary which was as corrosive if not more then the poison stuff but have now settled on micronized copper azole. I actually ran some test on it (I work at a national lab) and it was very compatible with Al. The best know manufacturer is Yellawood (866 230 1257). You can goolge them and get the MSDS sheets and decide for yourself. Most places carry it now. I got it at my local lumber yard. It has a definite yellow color to it unlike the green color of the old stuff.

Good luck

Grzzzz

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

howdy

I am new to this forum too. It is a great place to get info and advice. I won't offer any because I certainly am not an expert on any of it, I do suggest you do some research on your own.

PT wood has evolved rapidly. Not for us boaters but for contractors. they don't like their fasteners to disintegrate nor do they want to buy the expensive corrosive resistant kind. The industry left treating with chromated copper arsenate because it was killing the kids then went to alkaline copper quartenary which was as corrosive if not more then the poison stuff but have now settled on micronized copper azole. I actually ran some test on it (I work at a national lab) and it was very compatible with Al. The best know manufacturer is Yellawood (866 230 1257). You can goolge them and get the MSDS sheets and decide for yourself. Most places carry it now. I got it at my local lumber yard. It has a definite yellow color to it unlike the green color of the old stuff.

Good luck

Grzzzz

MCA pressure treated plywood ? Pretty rare stuff and not worth the risk. MCA suggests stainless steel fastener's and also in all the literature it suggests contacting the aluminum manufacturer.

If your local home depot, lowes, or lumber store suggests or says that brand x is as good as etc that could be dangerous.

Being new to the forum I say welcome. I will also say I have seen many photos of PT damage and it is not worth the risk when dealing with aluminum.