5.8FSi DP questions

jasperboy

Seaman
All,

Thanks to some great information and advice here, I've learned a lot on my search for a new boat.

Have located another potential boat that is powered by the Volvo Penta 5.8FSi and mated to the DP DuoProp outdrive. 1996 unit with 850 hours, and everything seems to check out.

Question is whether this motor and outdrive have any known issues? I know it is Ford based rather than Chevy, but the 351 Fords have run dependably for years! Any thoughts or advice would be apperciated.

At first the hours concerned me, but that averages to 55 hours a year which seems reasonable. I think I should expect 1000 before any major work, and 1500 hours is reasonable for a gas engine life.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.8FSi DP questions

No issues with the Volvo DP outdrive, or the 5.8 FSi engine. Might want to check the shops in your area and see if they are equipped to deal with the Ford EFI, since they were only used for a few years by Volvo, many dealers never bought all the special tools.

jasperboy

Seaman

Thank you for your thoughts Don. I'll check a few local marinas.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One other thing, since those engines were only used a few years, some of the Volvo parts are becoming NLA (No Longer Available) or they get REALLY expensive.
94, 95, and 96 were the only years that Volvo used the EFI Ford engines.