ebay buys iphones for $200? really?

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
While headed over to ebay today to do some digging, I noticed on the home page it says that they are offering a minimum of $200 for iPhones (3gs and newer). So I bite as I have the iphone 3gs and am looking to upgrade sometime in the next few months. Apparently this is a newer service by ebay called "eBay Instant Sale." As far as I can tell, ebay will buy the phone on behalf of one of their reselling members. They give a printable shipping label to send the device to them, once they receive it they will inspect it for condition and if it passes, they will credit your paypal account with the offered amount. If it doesn't pass, they send their best offer and you can accept or reject. If reject, you get the device sent back for free.

Sounds great right? Almost too good... but I've done some searching around and there are a few other sites talking about the new service so it seems to be legit.

My old iPhone 3gs is being offered $200! :eek: Heck I can get the new iPhone4 for that price (with a new contract of course). So basically, can swap the old for the new for free.

Any thoughts or experience with this new service? Looks like the promotional offer ends Feb. 22. They say the service is for just about any kind of electronics. They are doing the promo on the iphone now because of Verizon's new launch of the iphone, hoping people will sell their At&t iphone to pay for the Verizon iphone which just happens to start at $200.

mscher

Lieutenant

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ebay buys iphones for $200? really?

Wow! I didn't even think to search on ebay for the 3g or 3gs. I had no idea they are going for such high prices! That is awesome... heck, even the ones with cracked screens are going for around $200! I just didn't think they were going for that much since there is the newer iphone4 out now. Upgrading to the newer iphone4 will cost less than the amount I can sell the old 3gs, so that's extra money in the pocket. Can't beat that..

I haven't been concerned one bit with upgrading to the iphone 4, as I really like my 3gs and with it jailbroken I can tether off it for free. But, if I can upgrade and put some $$ in my pocket at the same time....

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

And come to think of it, it's no wonder why ebay would buy the old iphones for $200 if they can turn around and sell them on ebay for $250+... makes good $sense$ I suppose.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wonder if anyone gets $200. I bet they all get "offered" something lower.

I knew there had to be a catch. I found this. Seems you use the money to buy new phone and 2 year contract.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-02-09/business/27328904_1_new-iphone-3gs-bloomberg-briefing

That's how much eBay will pay for certain smart-phone models in a two-week promotion tied to the release of Apple's iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless. You can trade in your old Motorola Droid X, HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or iPhone 3GS and use the $200 to buy a new iPhone 4 with a two-year service contract. Verizon starts selling the iPhone online today and in stores on Thursday.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I too was thinking that there might be a catch that you had to use the money to buy the new iphone from Verizon, but I havn't been able to see anywhere that it says that for sure. Seems like they are just trying to cash in on the prime opportunity since Verizon just released their iphone (hoping more of the current at&t customers will make the switch to Verizon since to they can get $200 for their old iphone). I read all the fine print and went through the process to send in my iphone, all the way until the very last step. It never said anything about agreeing to sign up for Verizon.

I don't know.. the phones are going for much more than $200 on ebay anyways (even busted ones!), so I think I'll just sell the dang thing on there and come out ahead after buying the new phone! I think all the new hype about Verizon getting the iphone is making even more people make the plunge, even if it's still with at&t, giving such high demand for the old 3gs phones on ebay.

I paid $200 for mine over a year ago, and it's worth more than that now. Can't beat that! :D

ndemge

Commander

3 months ago I was ready to upgrade from my 3G to the 4, I put my 3G on ebay and got $250. So I upgraded for free.
My bro-in-law sold his 3GS for over $300

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do too. Can't beat getting paid to upgrade! Going to the at&t store today to check it out.. love my iphone! lol.. They are addictive, but so handy.

D

DJ

The lovely and gracious Mrs. DJ has an iPhone. NOT my idea.

A wonderful gadget it is. It does some things great EXCEPT BE A PHONE!!!!:mad:

Dropped calls, etc. It's horrendous.

Now that Verizon has the iPhone, things are looking up.:) Now, I have to figure out a way to tell AT&T to 'have a nice day".;)

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have heard that on the Verizon network you will not be able to talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time. Might not even be true or a big deal to some. I know that if I could not look things up on the web while talking on the phone then I would not want the phone. No I do not do this while driving.
Just saying that everyone might want to check on the capabilities of the phone on another network before jumping ship. Other wise the Verizon phone (not sure what it is called) might be a better option.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yep they say that is true about not being able to talk and surf at the same time... they have said that for some time now and definately use that as one of their exclusive advantages. However... as crazy as it sounds, while I was in the AT&T store yesterday upgrading my phone, the salesman that was handling my stuff actually told me that one of this buddies that uses Verizon came in the other day and showed him how he could talk and surf at the same time (on his Verizon phone)... he said he was speechless. So maybe talking and surfing is a capability that Verizon is adding to their network... idk.

I suppose the dropped calls is probably a hit or miss thing varying from region to region. I know around here, there are only a couple places where I can count on getting dropped. And those areas are bad spots for all phones. At&t has been having some network issues around here for the past two weeks but I hope it's going to be straightened out soon.

You would think At&t would be wanting to sell as many iphones as possible right now, BUT... the guy actually tried to talk me into buying another phone 3 times using the incentive that right now they are offering an extra $100 for any phone (except Apple products, doh!). Tempting, but na.. And apparently they have a new "dual core processor" phone out which would be really cool (for all you techy folks)..

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

funny.... the LTE network will most certainly allow for calling and surfing at the same time. Verizon is not just shooting at the hip folks.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Just thought I'd let you guys know... I decided to sell the old 3gs on ebay instead of using that Instant Buy program. I paid $200 for my iphone4 and got $290 for the old 3gs. Can't beat putting money in my pocket to get a new phone! :) Maybe this thread will enlighten any other folks in the same situation...