Pontoon Boats and Wind

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I've owned my pontoon boat for a year now. Before, I owned a 16' Crestliner. There have been a few people I've talked with that said they really liked pontoon boats, but would not want to be out on one during very windy conditions for fear of it blowing over??? Have any of you ever heard of this happening? I've been out on some lakes in Kansas during some pretty windy conditions and have never felt threatened by the wind. In fact, I've felt the pontoon was very stable during harsh conditions. If this is not true, what are some adverse conditions a pontoon owner should be aware of? :rolleyes: Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Ponteen Boats and Wind

The only issue I have with wind while boating is docking. They can be a bit like a sail at times. On the water it's great.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No way is the wind gonna blow you over, unless it's a hurricane or tornado! Are there days it sucks to be on the water if windy, yes, but it's usually manageable. Maybe hard to anchor and dock, but usually not a big deal. I kind of like a little wind when docking if it's out of the right way. I just let the wind blow me sideways slowly to the dock.

Never been out in a real bad storm, but most inland lakes you should be pretty safe.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would worry more about the swells than the wind.If the boat was to dive into a wave
it could tend to dive until the throttle is cut.I've never seen this but have heard a heavily loaded toon can experience this in relatively normal large seas.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I would worry more about the swells than the wind.If the boat was to dive into a wave
it could tend to dive until the throttle is cut.I've never seen this but have heard a heavily loaded toon can experience this in relatively normal large seas.

Not completely true as I have buried an older model a number of years ago. One the nose goes under, the prop will come out of the water and it will "pop" back up like a bobber. Granted, once it nose dives, ya need to cut the throttle.

In heavy wind, the relatively high sides of a pontoon will act like a sail. As others have said, docking can be an adventure. Since ya can't fight the wind, ya may need to go with it and plan for the drift. A lot like docking in a current.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

one advantage to the wind is to get the wind to your rear and use it to fish with, we did this a lot towards the end of last summer and did great fishing, plus saved a lot of juice on the ol trolling motor battery

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You might get blow around but no way is going to flip over, with the tubes on the outboard of the boat I thin you would have to have some epic seas to flip the boat, certainly nothing you would ever see on an inland lake.

23 years in the buisness and I have never heard of anyone flipping a boat under any conditions so I wouldn't worry about it.

tomtnwlkrs

Seaman

I live in Oklahoma where the wind blows constantly. Been on the lake in 45 mile per hour winds were constant all day long. Never even thought the toon might flip. As a matter of fact we had to pull in several boats that swamped. The only thing that might have issues is an underpowered toon. Alot of the 22 footers with 40hp outboards have a little struggle and slow trip back to the dock.

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having owned 1 for 2 years i have found the only way to get scared is to leave the front gate open & hit the throttle hard below a dam,throw in 2 turbins generating & a lock opening & a bunch of other boats making some 2' waves :( my buddy was casting the boils below the dam & i would run back up & drop the trolling motor back in,dropped into a deep trough (SP) & loaded about 12" of water.yanked the throttle back when i seen what was happening & my buddy looked back at me wide eyed & yelled "BACK IT UP" :) lmbo.after the prop came out of the water it set back down much to my relief.i told him it wasnt like driving a truck into a ditch .lessons learned like that you never forget.wind is no trouble wave height is.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

You might get blow around but no way is going to flip over, with the tubes on the outboard of the boat I thin you would have to have some epic seas to flip the boat, certainly nothing you would ever see on an inland lake.

23 years in the buisness and I have never heard of anyone flipping a boat under any conditions so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim Dorris (Playcraft owner) did once. Apparently, he was testing a new design here at LOTO and during a power turn he flipped his pontoon. Unfortunately his passenger (an employee) died. The article didn't say if the pontoon was overpowered or just an accident.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The nose dive everyone refers to is known as submarining. It's kinda skeery:eek: (or cool,:cool: depending on how warped you are and whether the admiral is aboard:rolleyes:).

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice

Well that's kinda what I thought. I was out on Lake Wilson in Kansas) one time with some buddies of mine and the wind came up really good. The waves would come up over the stern and about 2" of water would run all the way through the boat and out the back. The motor would come all the way out of the water on the swells. It was a wild and fun ride. We all had our life jackets on, but never did I feel threatened buy the conditions. As a matter of fact, that was one reason I decided to by a pontoon. On our way back to the dock on that day, there was a shallow drafting bass boat that fell in behind us and followed us all the way back to the docks. Good time was had by all. :D

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being blown around yes, But not blown over,,lol, Unless ya have 2 floors high then ya toon would be top heavy, But not just a reguler toon, Wow I couldn't even think of a toon blowing over but if the wave are high then be sure to keep the front of the toon towards the waves,,

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

...forget.wind is no trouble wave height is.

Last summer we were out tooling around on a small Ohio lake on a sunny Sunday afternoon (read, lake is crazy crowded). We got into a large pool that was being crisscrossed by tubers and skiers and the swells we got into looked like the 'dragons teeth' tank traps used in WW ll. In a trough, we were lookin up at them :eek: , I hit the throttle to get out quick. Kinda felt like riding a surf board :D we laughed about it later.

The wind can be a problem docking but we learned how to use it to our advantage as others have mentioned here. Even DW is looking forward to learning how to dock the 'toon this spring.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

The wind can be a problem when docking. But my biggest problem is those smart ***** boaters who like to see how close they and come to us with there big boats .There wake can be pretty rough at times. I usually just turn to away from them so the walk hits me from the rear and I'll power up until there walk passes by me. We travel a lot in the Chesapecke Bay. One time one of the boaters stopped at a beach that we were headed for too. So when I got there I walked over to him and knocked him out. The word has gotten around down there now.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sounds like a winner Silver Eagle,, lol,

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 77 20ft Playcraft with a 10hp Chrysler (pause and wait for everyone to stop laughing)... and have had no real problems with wind. The worst we had was the last trip out it was 35 to 45mph winds. It was a challenge but we did find a cove to fish for a while. It was still windy and my two sons could stop fighting so I headed back to the dock. I imagine if I had a 60 on there it would have done better but I thought the old 10 did pretty well. I have a hard top too and wish I had a bimini so I coud drop it for better docking, fishing, night cruising, etc. I had big plans with a repower and all new furniture and top this year but the wife lost her job four days before cristmas so that is on hold.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have an 18' with a 60 HP mercury. Crossing Lake Mead lower basin with a 40 MPH head wind; aside from standing at the helm and my hat getting soaked by the spray; we never had the boat rock to whewe we felt it would roll. nor did it ever submarine. Pontoons are exceptionally stable.