please help, I cannot stop this oil leak.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been repowering theboat n my sig on the weekends for a month now.I am all ready to drop it in, but, I have a 2 -3drop a min oil leak.

The leak is where the timing chain cover and oil pan meet. Here is what I have done.

New timing chain cover, new oil pan gakset, new oil pan bolts.

There doesn't seem to be much to this, I cant torque the oil pan down any more, what would cause this.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: please help, I cannot stop this oil leak.

engine is a 1996-2001 generation vortec 350.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you seal the pan gasket at the corners of the gasket per the service manual ?
Did you check the pans gasket surface to make sure it's flat. Over-torquing the bolts can distort the pan.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Felpro makes a very nice one piece oil pan / timing cover gasket. You put the timing cover on first then the oil pan. And its not cork. Or try useing a little RTV Red in the corners of the old gasket.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did not put RTV on the sides, but the gasket is not over torqued. I will drop it and re RTV it, but the leak is coming from the very center( low point ) of the timing cover in the middle of the gasket and the timing cover. should i rtv there?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also this is the 1 piece flelpro grey gasket

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you didn't seal it, then the oil is getting in at the corner, and running down to the bottom of the seal. Gravity causes it to leak off the lowest part.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Ya gotta Love those new 1-pc. sillycone gaskets,...
You still need to put a dab of sillyseal at the corners though....

Like Don said, unless 1 of the pans is dinged up, it's leakin' from the corners, 'n gravity takes over...

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you clean the block and timing chain cover real good with brake clean so the silicone sticks to both. Just a shot of silicone where they mate in the corner don't overdo it. Don't put it on the whole front seal cause it will make it squeeze out and could really cause a major leak.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

There has to be an inperfection somewhere on the tin's and or the block. Lay the tin's on a flat surface and use a feller gauge to see where the high spot is if anywhere do the same with the block using a straight edge and feller gauge.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tomorrow I am going to drop the pan, put on a spare I have and then silly cone her up, should I put any where the timing cover meets the pan too or just the four corners.

castaic piper

Seaman Apprentice

start off setting the pan on a flat surface to see it it sits flat. I use a ball peen hammer to set back the bolt holes a bit before installing a pan. Do use a bit of silicone in the corners.