trickle charger question

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Brand new dual purpose battery at beginning of last summer. Only really used it for starting & lights once & awhile. I would plug in the charger every time I got home & it was charged up for the next time. I winterized the boat in the fall & put the battery on the shelf in the garage. Someone here said every now & then, like every other month hook it up to the charger & let it charge up. The one I have has three lights RED=dead YELLOW=charging Green=Full, it's been on YELLOW for like 2 weeks now. Do I need to check it with some type of meter? I'm not too god with electrical stuff & don't have that stuff around the house. Should it take this long to charge?

drewpster

Commander
Re: trickle charger question

Verify in your chargers directions what conditions make a yellow light. If it is simply that full voltage has not been reached, it may be that the charger is not capable of bringing the battery all the way up.
One thing to know about chargers is that they vary in quality and capability greatly. Generally speaking, a higher priced charger with a "storage" feature is better for batteries. Simple trickle chargers usually do not have the features needed to store a battery over long periods. You want a charger specifically designed for charging and for storing for months rather than a week or so. You do not have to spend a ton of money, just get a charger that fits your needs. (The connect and forget type)

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I have a decent charger. Never had a problem reaching green light full charge before. I just thought about it, I should just run it down to an automotive store & have them put it on their machine. I'm really not too worried about it, just wondering what was taking so long. Thanks drew for the reply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What is the brand and model number of the charger? "Decent" is not a good description.