Chaparral ssi 216 or a Yamaha 242

GTS500

Recruit
Hi guys!

I'm deciding on purchasing a brand new 20'-24' bowrider mainly for recreation, familly outings and some fishing. I am not from the US and I would want something that last and doesn't need much attention to the boat's exterior and especially the engine. I am staying in Singapore and we have summer all year long.

I have heard a lot of good things mentioned on Chaparral boats. I think they make pretty good quality boats but I always have this feeling with the Yamaha 242. They look really pretty and I think Yamaha have good reputation on build quality and they make good engines too. Lastly I would also want a boat that is able to retain it's value.

I know chaparral is using a OB and the yamaha uses a jet drive. I have read on the maneuverability of jet drives engine but to me I think they perform just as good. It doesn't concern me much.

Well, I have a budget of $40-45k for a boat. I am new to boats and hope I am able to get some inputs on what you guys think. I'll be in Miami FL to check them out further. Would like some pointers on what to look for before purchasing a decent boat that I will not regret.

Cheers!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chaparral ssi 216 or a Yamaha 242

First of all, the two brands you are comparing are apples and oranges. The chaparral will be far superior with regards to build quality, materials as well as resale value. Gas consumption is another big differentiator, the jet drives suck down lots of gas. Have you driven both, the jet boat is more responsive to quick turns and fast maneuvers but is inferior when moving slowly say around a dock, very frustrating and will take some time to master. Not sure about parts availability for either boat in Singapore. Why are you buying new? It is fine if you don't care about the money but your 45K boat will be worth 30K after one season of use and worth around 22K in the second or third year of ownership. There are so many nice 2-3 year old boats out there and you get so much more for the money. It's not like it used to be with used boats, a person has to try pretty hard to really do any damage to a newer boat because of the way the motors and boats themselves are built. I found a 2 year old Chaparral with 38 hours on it 2 years ago that sold new for 40K, picked it up for close to half of that, with the remainder of the 7 year warranty on the drive train and the lifetime warranty on the hull. Boat still looks and even smells new and I have seen little depreciation on my money. A good quality boat should look and perform like new for several years and the newer motors are very reliable and trouble free if maintained.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Also, with regards to retaining value, neither will do this well, especially if you are buying new, the worst depreciation is in the first two years. The Yami will depreciate faster though.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off,

There is a fairly significant size difference so I'd decide for real how big a boat you'd want.

After that, Jets are more noisy, use more gas (no matter what the Yami advertisments say) and typically don't have the same top speed. Add into it a harsher ride and I don't know why you'd even consider a jet. Of course it's your money and only you can assess your needs/wants.

Happy Hunting.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I do know the the newest jet boats dispel many of the downsides of even mid 2000's jet's. Obviously the propulsion is still a jet but the interiors are smartly designed due to the space savings compared to an I/O. I have a Chaparral and yes they are put together well with quality materials and actually they go the extra mile where other manufacturers quit. The reviews of the jets I've read however make a compelling argument to at least check them out. My take is that the market for jet's is much smaller than I/O's and so you have built in a small population of buyers and hence a good amount of depreciation. Now I suppose the big question is are you going to be in shallow water? I've been on some unfamiliar, large but shallow lakes and thought how I'd love to have a jet as I go about dinging my prop.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do know the the newest jet boats dispel many of the downsides of even mid 2000's jet's. Obviously the propulsion is still a jet but the interiors are smartly designed due to the space savings compared to an I/O. I have a Chaparral and yes they are put together well with quality materials and actually they go the extra mile where other manufacturers quit. The reviews of the jets I've read however make a compelling argument to at least check them out. My take is that the market for jet's is much smaller than I/O's and so you have built in a small population of buyers and hence a good amount of depreciation. Now I suppose the big question is are you going to be in shallow water? I've been on some unfamiliar, large but shallow lakes and thought how I'd love to have a jet as I go about dinging my prop.

But how do you get around the higher noise, higher gas consumption, and overall slower performance (other than holeshot) of a jet? Other than running skinny I see absolutely no advantage to a jet over a prop.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like you, we were looking in the 21 to 24 foot range. We took a long hard look at Yamaha jet boats. In the end, we decided on a Stingray 215LR and couldn't be happier. It's 22 feet long and includes a head which is something my wife "had" to have. There's loads of room on the boat. Also, the fit and finish is very good. Lastly, although price did not factor into our final decision, the 22 foot Stingray was MUCH less than the 24 foot Yamaha and was a few thousand dollars less than the 21 foot Yamaha.

stephanies

Seaman Apprentice

Chapparrals are nice boats but HEAVY!! (therefore SLOW compared with others in that size bracket)

GTS500

Recruit

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the inputs.

I apologize for starting such a newbie thread but I really do love the design of yammies.

I have been on a Yamaha 242 when I was in US last year. It was a lot of fun riding in one. I will check out Chaparral on my next trip.

What will you guys choose for a 24 footer bowrider? a Merc or a Volvo? 300 or 320hp?

Anything other important areas I should look at before purchasing a boat?

Thanks in advance!

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Chapparrals are nice boats but HEAVY!! (therefore SLOW compared with others in that size bracket)

HEAVY??? It's hard to compare boats, because of differences in size, design etc. But here is a comparison on weights from published date of similar models (engines etc vary)

Chaparral 216 LOA 21? 6? Beam 8? 4? Est Dry Weight 3500 LB
Sea Ray 210 LOA 21? Beam 8?6? Est Dry Weight 4080 Lb
Four Winns 210 LOA 20? 10? Beam 8?6? Est Dry Weight 3250 LB
Cobalt LOA 20? 4? Beam 8?6? Est Dry Weight 3850 LB
Sting Ray LOA 21? 11? Beam 8?5? Est Dry Weight 3705 LB
Bayliner 215 LOA 21'6" Beam 8'6" Est Dry Weight 2838 LB​
With exception to the Bayliner, seems Chaps are about the same as most popular bow rider. I was surprised at the weight of the Sting ray, I had always "heard" they were lighter boats. I think the light weight on the bayliner is due to how it's finished.