quicksilver commander 2000 Trim switch problem.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gday all,
My first post ever.Was going to be a help question 2 weeks ago,though after reading many old posts on trim switch problems i decided to bite the bullet and started to pull the box apart to find the problem....so many parts...so many tests..resistance,continuity,volts,test solenoid,test pump motor.all checked out...must be the trim switch.Had to pull the handle off then pull it to bits to get to the switch.The switch was encased in a rubber protector and hard plastic case which unclipped to reveal the guts...BINGO dirty black points.Cleaned with dremel tool & wire brush bit.Put switch back together (not easy)Ran to boat.Works perfect.I hope this helps someone with similar problem.Now got to try and put box back together.Try and post pictures tomorrow.Bed time 1.30 am.

BobMaio

Seaman
Re: quicksilver commander 2000 Trim switch problem.

I have a suggestion for people with this problem in the future. I started doing the same thing aussiefish did. However, after reading some posts about possible causes, I decided to hot wire the remote-control-mounted trim switchs to test them out before I dis-assembled the remote control. Low and behold, the problem was not in the remote control at all. Turned out that the I had a defective trim limit switch on the stern drive. Hot wiring saved me a ton of time and frustration by not having to pull the remote control apart. In my boat (Sea Ray) the wire terminals for the trim are easily accessible at the helm. I think other makes are the same.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might as well order a new switch now for when yours fails again. Once you clean the contacts of a switch or anything electrical like that for that matter, the hardened surface of the contacts is destroyed, and the bare surface will corrode and burn from use, MUCH faster. Like days.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope not Don.I did think that when cleaning,so went very easy on it.I wonder if there is anything you can coat it with to protect it.Anyway the whole job would of cost $400 if the mech came out.Switch is $130 in Aus and only $30 in USA.Maybe order one from USA.The main thing is now i know how to replace it if needed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If all else fails, a simple momentary on/off/on toggle switch mounted on the dash will work quite well, it just won't be in the handle.
But your switch after being cleaned, will fail soon.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Don,Would it be possible to splice off wiring on current trim switch to a backup switch on dash,or better to go direct to solenoid?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just an update.Trim Switch still working well after 7 weeks.