steering cable

i have the smoker craft took apart all but the steering console, how do you get the steering cable out of the steering gear assemble there is a pin that you pull out then it says to insert into another hole on the top of the steering assembly but the pin only barely goes in. i hope that you all can decipher my ?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: steering cable

i have the smoker craft took apart all but the steering console, how do you get the steering cable out of the steering gear assemble there is a pin that you pull out then it says to insert into another hole on the top of the steering assembly but the pin only barely goes in. i hope that you all can decipher my ?

With the pin out, try turning the wheel, which direction depends on whether the cable is in the top or bottom of the helm assembly, you will need to have the rest of the cable free of everything else.

sasto

Captain

Once the pin is inserted in the "other" hole you should be able to turn the wheel in the direction that extracts the cable.

figured that out by watching alot on youtube does the cable just fall out while the wheel is turning or does it need some assistance

once the cable is out should i pull the guages out and zip tie the wires together once i get them unhooked from the back of the guages with color coded zip ties. if so on the back of the speedometer there is a thick black cable that connects to the speedo via a brass nut, is the brass nut what holds the speedo cable on.

mark1961

Ensign

figured that out by watching alot on youtube does the cable just fall out while the wheel is turning or does it need some assistance

The outer cable may need to be freed from the helm assembly first, once that is free the inner cable should feed out as you turn the wheel, whether you can feed it out completely depends on how much the rest of the cable is able to move inside the hull.

mark1961

Ensign

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104752980;cat104602680
this is what mine looks like if u zoom in u can see the little pin that was giving me problems. once you push the pin turn the steering wheel the cable will come out should i keep turning the wheel or is there another steep that i am missing

Its the same as mine, you need to use the pin you removed to release the outer cable by inserting in the other hole pushing and holding (you should feel some spring tension, alot actually) while pulling the outer cable free of the helm assembly, once its free you should be able to feed out the inner via the wheel, there will be plenty of grease on it so be prepared for that.

thanks that is what i wanted to here but i was afraid to do that because i have a bad habit of getting something apart and not being able to get it back together.

mark1961

Ensign

Reinstalling is easier, leave the pin out completely, feed the inner back in using the wheel again, when the outer reaches the housing you will feel it lock back in while turning the wheel, reinsert pin in original position.

You need to restart the inner with the wheel in a certain position so that it ends up centred when underway, very hard to get this right when you're in the dry dock, you will probably have to see where the wheel sits next time you splash it and readjust later if necessary.