Pontoon fenders/bumbers?

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've got some of the regular run of the mill medium sized fenders-bumbers. They work fine for the dock and when rafting up with other pontoons. But when trying to raft up with a runabout, it doesn't work well. The runabout is too high in front and tries to get into the tin on the fencing. :confused:

I've seen those expensive *** ones made just for pontoons, but I want something removable. Most of those they advertise that you just leave them on all the time.????? Don't want that......

What do you guys do? Is there something else that I'm missing?

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pontoon fenders?

wally world get some of those cheap aluminum rope connects ?? dont recall actual name but look like gizmos rope climbers use about a $1.00 or so each and use em to connect end to end of your bouys ?? seems that work or just use cheap nylon rope o(______)00(_______)0< Bouys end to end

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So you're saying put one fender on top of the other? Never thought about that. I'd still be nervous that it wouldn't provide enough support not to dent the tin work.

Wondering if anyone has those expensive ones that clamp on to protect the whole fence? How do you like them? Do you leave them on all the time, or can they be removed easily?

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Fenders will never work to keep the bow from riding up into the tin in that situation. Also the tin work won't take the pressure of the other boat pushing against it. Wave action will let the bow of the runabout try to ride up and over the railing. You need to put two, three or more bumpers where aft section of the runabouts hull does contact your deck edge and keep his stern tied off fairly tight. Also if you are handy rig up a way to mount a boat hook or something solid to your deck that will latch onto the bow of the other boat and hold it away.

25' Voyager center console/115 Merc 4 stroke EFI
Lake Texoma OK

Lawnmedic

Seaman

Wondering if anyone has those expensive ones that clamp on to protect the whole fence? How do you like them? Do you leave them on all the time, or can they be removed easily?

I have the pontoon specific fenders, and they work great. I added the quick disconnects and can be moved easily. Most people do not have the proper sized fenders for their boat. I carry 8" diameter fenders on my 23' bowrider, and they are marginal for that size boat.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fenders will never work to keep the bow from riding up into the tin in that situation. Also the tin work won't take the pressure of the other boat pushing against it. Wave action will let the bow of the runabout try to ride up and over the railing. You need to put two, three or more bumpers where aft section of the runabouts hull does contact your deck edge and keep his stern tied off fairly tight. Also if you are handy rig up a way to mount a boat hook or something solid to your deck that will latch onto the bow of the other boat and hold it away.

25' Voyager center console/115 Merc 4 stroke EFI
Lake Texoma OK

Thanks for the info. That's my problem, I have a 22' pontoon, but most runabouts that I raft up with are only 16-17'. I don't have a mid cleat to tie off to, only stern and bow. That would be the best solution, to add a mid cleat to tie off to. This would allow me to do what you were saying to keep the bow away.

I do like the idea of the pole, I might ponder on that one. I'm always fabricating things so I might rig something up.