Power Tilt Trim Failure

TJMay

Recruit
Shortly after retro-fitting an OEM Power Tilt/Trim to my Mercury 25, the hydrolic cylinder would leak down within a day or two so that the bottom end of the engine was completely in the water.

I returned it to the installing dealer not once but several times within the warranty period. They could not stop it from leaking down

Finally, after the warranty period was over, I contacted Mercury. Even in light of the dealer's admission that they attempted to fix the problem more than once during the warranty period, their position was "too bad".

Any suggestions of what I can do next?

Thanks for any susggestions.

Tommy

TJMay

Recruit
Re: Power Tilt Trim Failure

Since there have been no replies to my request, I thought I would 'bump" the thread to try again.

Everyone I have asked says that the tilt/trim unit should keep the engine out of the water.

If your dealer and Mercury behaved this way, what would you do?

Thanks for any guidance.

Tommy

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is dropping down over time, make sure that the manual release isn't loose. Loosen it and then tighten it back up also. I'm sure that was checked but you never know. Take them to small claims court, especially if it is new, you've been back several times for the problem and it is under warranty.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Unless you know how to work on things you won' be able to fix it... It needs to be resealed.. I have two Merc's right now with the same problem.. I need to take the time to fix them both as they both leak down with not external leaks...Any shop can fix this however it will probably cost at least a couple of hundred to fix it... Your shop should know this but this just shows again how many bad shops exist in the marine industry. Too bad they are not goverened like the auto shops are as this stuff wouldn't be allowed..Take it to a good shop if you cannot do it, get an estimate and take the original shop to small claims...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Must be the 4 stroke series motor. That the single ram system and they are sensitve to dirt/debris. Unit could have had some machining debris or dirt was on the end of bottle when filled and it holding a check valve open. Go back to the selling dealer and request the area tech rep to look at this. Be a pest to dealer(call service mgr/owner every day) and it will get fixed or replaced...

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My trim has been acting up a bit, but only when under maybe 1/2 throttle or more. I was told that there is probably some debris in one of my check valves also.