What speed does 170 OB plane at?

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Attended boat show this last weekend. As you'd expect the sales people are well equipped at pointing out weaknesses in other products. A pontoon guy said that Deck Boats tend to cruise with their nose in the air. I think he is talking about getting up on plane - before you get there many boats have their bow up. With bow riders I use to just send the "crew" forward. I think Smart Tabs would also address this.

Or, it might just not be a problem. NelsonQ, do you remember at what seed your 172 planed? In the reviews I can see time to plane, but not speed.

John

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: What speed does 170 OB plane at?

Mine, with a 115HP took about 3 secs or so, and was probably in the low 20s when it would plane. Again, add weight and distribute it to the back, it'll take longer and a little more muscle. Mine didn't sit nose in the air. Nor does my SS188, or that of my friends FD226.

Smart Tabs work great for countering that, but overall, no problems. Sure, trying to get on plane, most boats do unless its a bass boat, etc.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drats. Might all be moot. Started getting ready to put an offer in this week and I noticed the seller has run a new ad - with boat listed at $2k more! I was going to offer between what my insurance company says the boat is valued at ($9k) and his asking price ($11k). I may still do that, but with him asking $13k now it gets stickier. I expected an increase in Spring but this is a little soon. I called him and he said he was tired of "low ball" offers so will still honor the $11k price originally listed but not a penny less. Disappointing...

Remember - this boat is slightly underpowered at 90hp, has no bimini, no carpet, no ski pylon... It is not tricked out.

jh

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

John, $11k for a 2004 is about the right price. A little high with a 90 and no bimini. By comparison I bought mine at the exact same age and I paid $11.5k. Not sure on the bimini, but you're probably looking at around $400 for carpet + install and another $400 for ski pylon.