Wireing harness(es) for a 1998 Johnson 50 HP SPL

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey fellas! This is a 1998 Johnson 50 HP SPL here.

Can you guys give me a hand identifying what each of these plugs are for and what wiring harness (or harnesses) I'll need to get for this motor?
P1040897.jpg

I'll most likely be snagging this control for it too...
31gMElpL6OL._SS500_.jpg

...but I'll need to know all the rigging that goes in between that control and the motor, eh! Sorry for the newbe question.

Thanks in advance!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wireing harness(es) for a 1998 Johnson 50 HP SPL

You need the factory engine harness that runs between the engine and the control box. You will also need the two control cables (throttle and shift). Those two cables must be long enough to form a loop at the engine to allow the engine to pivot so the cables are not stressed. the connectors are keyed so they cannot be connected incorrectly.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Silvertip! Yah, I figured I needed the factory harness but it seems like I am seeing several versions out there as I am doing a bit if looking around. I recognize that I'll need the 96' and newer setup. Am I seeing that there are 6 pin versions and 8 pin versions (looks like I need the 6)? Some harnesses seem to have only one connector while others have 5??

I spose my main question is what are each of those connections used for up there in that photo^^^? That may help me try to find just the right harness on eBay or greatlakesskipper or wherever, ya know?

There is a very good chance I am simply a rookie OB guy and confused.:rolleyes:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

BTW, apologies if this thread should have been over in the electronics forum...