Mercruiser 165 new type lower shift cable

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don mentioned changing to a newer Mercruiser shift cable that goes in from the back, aft, side of the bellhousing and requires tapping out the hole with a 1/4 np straight thread tap. What I want to know is what cable to order? I looked at mc 73723A1 but it looks like it installs from the front side of the bellhousing like the old one. Any help identifying the proper cable appreciated. I may also go to the local MC dealer and see what they have, but my guess they will have to order it too.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 165 new type lower shift cable

I think I have found the right cable that will be put in from the aft, rear, side of the bellhousing and require the hole be tapped out with a 14-18 NPSF tap. The cable assemble is Mercruiser # 865436A02 and it costs $80.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update on this new rear install cable. I will have to pull the drive and remove the cable because I did not seat the cable pipe threads all the way into the bellhousing. I had found the threads went all the way through from the front to the back and just treaded the new cable into the bell housing far enough to make it tight and thought it was in securely and wouldn't come out, good. But I read on amarket.com that if you don't put it all the way in with no threads showing you will have problems going into reverse. I have problems going into reverse. Just hope this bit of information helps someone else to avoid doing the job twice.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the followup mj...

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

this fix is next so I can use reverse again. borrowed a deep 9/16" socket, actually 2 deep sockets welded together. the guy I got it from says it
allows you to put the pressure needed to screw it all the way in without hurting the plastic tip. Wish I'd have known to put the cable in till all the threads were in the bell housing with the hex against the housing. Will do it this time.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Today I pulled the drive and put the lower cable all the way into the bellhousing. Now it shifts into reverse as it should. I look forward to taking it to the lake tomorrow. While it was out I checked the alignment and it was perfect. thanks again for all the help getting me this far.

ziggy

Admiral

I look forward to taking it to the lake tomorrow.
have a great time mj. sure wish i could go today. i've been out three times, three weeks ago. crummy weather has left me sol for getting out since. including today...:(
you'll have to have some extra fun for me today since i can't get out.. if you would please... :)

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great day on lake. reverse and forward just perfect. ended up pulling some kids on an inflatable and really trying out the Aristocraft 19 and it did good.