OMC SeaDrive hydrolic steering ?

qzone83

Cadet
I have a SeaOx 230C with a 3.0 OMC SeaDrive on the back with hydrolic steering. I am not familiar at all with this steering system and have a little problem. Turn the wheel to the left, works perfect. Turn it to the right, spins half turn before it catches. Then back to the left, and it works perfect again. This lag is only turning to the right. It seems to get a little better with use but never completely goes away. The hydrolic system looks odd and complex so I figured I would enlist some help. It has lines going all over the place and two hydrolic rams. I know the motor is obsolete but it only has 352 hours on it and runs perfectly, so i'm just trying to would out some kinks till I can save up for an Armstrong bracket and more modern motor, any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC SeaDrive hydrolic steering ?

Ayuh,... Sounds like there's air in the system, 'n it needs Bleeding....

Got any pictures,..??

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I suspect Bond-o has nailed it. I have a pair of 1987 1.6L SeaDrives. Check fluid levels and bleed the air out. I have had mine for 16 years and have had no problem with the SeaDrives. I'm told that parts are hard to come by if you need em.

qzone83

Cadet

No pics because its all stuffed in weird hard to reach places. I will check the fluid and air issue though, thanks for the help.