Long shaft short shaft? Pontoon

br549dh

Cadet
Hello I am clueless about boats. In a package deal of heavy scrap metal mostly old farm machinery I got a mckee boat and trailer and a 50 hp /500 Mercury. The engine has 120 psi compression and seems to have hope? From the top of the transom to the horizontal fin above the prop is 16 inches .
Next I knew of a pontoon boat floating on a private pond with no engine .So I went over to talk with the owner . Its about a 1/2 of a mile off the road on a drive way with spots in need of repair. I traded the use of my D3 dozier for the pontoon The owner works for the forestry com. and has dozier experience so I don't even have to operate it.
The problem is on the pontoon boat from the top of the transom to the bottom of the pontoons its 22 inches .The pontoon are 19 inches in diameter . What do i need to know to figure out if my shaft is long enough?
I took the dozier over to day winched the boat on the rollback every thing looks good except the floor that has some soft spots . Its a lot bigger then i thought . Its 23 feet long Thank for any help Donny

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Long shaft short shaft? Pontoon

Most, if not all pontoon boats require a long shaft motor. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i see pontons ben on some at boat dealer showroom only but here my idea,, a pontoon dealer close by?? take a measure tape along and check em out and measure???? take notes and just make sure the motor runs good before the project begins think you may get lucky???

br549dh

Cadet

What is the difference in length between my what i think is a 16 inch . I am not sure if I am even measuring from the right place to the right place ? and a long shaft.?
Can I lower the transom a little ? Also I no this is going to sound stupid but what is the reason for the 3 feet or so up front out side the railing?

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You do not want to lower ya transom at all I would think that would be bad cause when ya add more wieght to the back of ya toon then you will be putting ya motor in the water to much,, An the 3ft in front of the rails is just more lest a diff style, Some rail are like that an can put fishing swivel seats up there or just give more room in front to dock an don't have to reach over the rails,

jusfloatin

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bet is being the logs are 19" this pontoon boat is built and set up for a short shaft motor.