oil comming out of propeller and milky gearbox oil

cgast123

Cadet
1981 Johnson outboard 70hp (J70ELCIM)

What would cause what appears to be my gearbox oil to comeout of my propeller?

I haven't done a pressure test on my gearbox but the oil comming out of the propeller is a dark grey and feels like 80w90 which is whats in my lower unit.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks everyone.

James R

Commander
Re: oil comming out of propeller and milky gearbox oil

Remove the prop and check the prop shaft seal.

levi_tsk

Ensign

give it a sniff test ...
if it smells like gear oil then it is ....
if it smells like 2stroke gas and oil that is what it is and theres nothing to worry about because that is normal youll know what i mean once you give it this test

carholme

Rear Admiral

cgast123;

Here is the parts list for your engine:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/8889.cfm

Depending on which gearcase you have, the most likely culprits are, aside from cracks or other mechanical damage:

15" Transom:

Item 31, seals or item 27, O ring

20" Transom:

Item 28, seals or item 24, O ring

Gerry

cgast123

Cadet

Thanks guys I will check agian, tonight after taking wife out to store. I imagine it is the prop shaft sear both drain plugs have good gaskets the only thing thats got me worried is the previous owner dropped the motor on the highway and broke the skag off but it doesn't leak oil out the case just out the prop hoping there is no cracks. It feels and smells like 80w90 which is whats in my gearbox.

This website is great If any of you could take a look at my other post the advice there would be much appreciated too just search for erratic timing and you will see it. Im not sure if my timing light has anything to do with the problem as it has computer functions and a tach built into it and im not sure it is designed to be used on a three cyl. going to buy a new old school timing light today and try it again.

levi_tsk

Ensign

youd probably do good to just replace ALL the seals in your lower unit the kit for this is only 20 or so dollars and well worth the few hours of time itll take to do it iboats has the kit youll need

cgast123

Cadet

thanks guys i think thats what i will do levi_tsk. Its better to just do it right and replace it all expecially for 20 to 40 dollars.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

replace water pump also

cgast123

Cadet

definantly will changed waterpump since taking lower unit apart thanks again guys this website is awesome.