Buying a Used Yamaha 20HP Outboard - Ran in Salt Water

baileybones

Cadet
Hello,

I found a used Yamaha 20 HP outboard for sale. It is a 2008 model. I am going to look at it on Monday and the owner tells me it's like new. Very little hours on it. My concern is the motor was used in salt water. Owner said the last time he used it (8 months ago) he did not flush it with fresh water. And he hasn't started it since then. When I look at it I will make sure we start it up to see how it runs, but I'm worried about the salt water use. Especially without the fresh water flush. So my question is. Should I be concerned? Is there something that can breakdown because of the salt water? Or am I worrying too much. Thanks

Last edited:

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying a Used Yamaha 20HP Outboard - Ran in Salt Water

Yes don'y buy it.8mths with saltwater sitting in it is trouble waiting to happen.Other people may tell you different but imo i would just keep looking.Saltwater is nasty if you don't flush it out especially for 8mths.I run all my outboards in saltwater and flush them everytime.Who knows someone here may know different then what i'm telling you.The components on the motor should hold up to all elements even saltwater with no problem,But 8mths of the salt sitting and eating at the motor would turn me away.This is a tough question as if it were me i would pass no matter how new it was.Just for kicks what is he asking for the motor?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would not be to concerned. With the little usage the motor has had, only so much salt has remained in it after usage. In my immediate area there are maybe 100 outboards and only 5% of us flush. They seem to run for years, especially the commercial guys. This is from a guy who flushes religiously but it makes me feel good. I sometimes think I am waisting my time but I am not comfortable unless I flush. FRED

boater1234

Flushing a motor that has been used in salt imo is the most important thing you can do to insure your motor will always run good.I have seen some motors that have not been flushed and they get nasty very quickly.I went to buy a 2009 20hp tohatsu last yr and it was used in saltwater and the guy swore up and down he flushed it everytime.I looked on spots of the motor were you can barely see like all the nuts and bolts that hold the powerhead in and under the cavitation plate were the trim tab was and every nut and bolt had corrosion on it like it had never been cleaned ever.He said the motor had 2hrs on it and it looked like it had been used for 20yrs,that is what salt will do if you don't flush or clean the motor down with freshwater.He finally admitted he never flushed it down after 10 uses,well needless to say it still sits for sale as he will never sell it for what he wants.Salt is deadly on a motor.

baileybones

Cadet

Thanks for the help. After reading your replies I think I'll pass on the motor. He is asking $2000 which I thought was a pretty good price.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cant hurt to go look at it. 2K sounds a bit steep for a private sale, see what he really wants for it. Do not be concerned if he starts showing what the motor is supposed to be worth in the blue book, thats all wishfull thinking on the sellers part. I have not looked at motors for awhile but I think the motors listed here on I BOATS should give you a good idea of value. Go by the price of new ones in the box, not the pre owned or program motors.
Sure do agree with BOATER 1234, can be heartbreaking once you remove the lower shroud to see the mount bolts for the powerhead. No matter how well you rinse the motor, the fresh water does not get up there. I always raise the motor and spray all underneath as well as occasionally spray everything outside with mercury quicksilver corrosion guard. Seems to be a good product. regards FRED

boater1234

Yea thats nuts for a used 4stroke.You can buy a brand new 2011 20hp tohatsu for $2479 and thats including shipping and tax.If you ask me it is just as good of an outboard as the yamaha.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What is being eaten away on the interior of the motor in 8 months?

My boat sits on a lift 6-7 months out of the year and doesn't get flushed inside or out. Should I be concerned? How long should expect my motor to last under these condtions?