75 HP Mariner Lower Unit

Can you find and replace just the lower unit case of a 75 HP Mariner? The unit works fine but the guy I bought the motor from broke off the lower fin and had it welded back on. I guess the welding caused it to start oxidizing bad so I would like to replace it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 HP Mariner Lower Unit

Always include ser# year and Model.Fill out the profile.
Yes U can replace the housing.It will need to be done with shim tools.So a dealer is needed.You can't just take out the old and install in a new case.It might last a minute or could last forever,probably not.
Try finding one on e-bay or try the hundreds of salvage yards in this country.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Strip the welded area to bare metal, use some marine poly putty to fill in the weld marks, sand smoth and prime and paint as you would aluminum. That should stop all oxidation.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Chris has the best approach.. why would you pay to get another gear case and put your guts in it...Further while there are hundreds of lower units for sale, your's needs a solid prime job and that doesn't mean out of a rattle can, and some expoxy paint again not a rattle can as it will peel and flake off. I have a friend refinish all of my lower units since I work on them but don't do paint. It will look brand new when done and you know yours works..my 2 cents