5.5hp Evinrune Fisherman overheating?

was

Cadet
Hi, I was given the above motor which hadn't been run for years, and fortunately for me it ran first pop. I did notice that it was only intermitantly ejecting water so i changed the impeller (which looked ok anyway). I did however stuff up and did not check that the water pipe sat into the pump before assembly so I did the job again properly. Another problem i had was that when i removed the thermostat cover there was no thernostat. I cannot see this as being a major though, but i did find that the water was not circulating into the head. I forced water pressure in and this cleared any obstruction. Water poured into this cavity now ran down and out. However, now the pump seems to be functioning great except the motor gets very hot and the expelled water does too. So hot as i cannot put my hand in the expelled water. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem? I do not know the exact year as i have looked all over for a code and there doesn't seem to be one. I think it's about 1963.Thanks.

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: 5.5hp Evinrune Fisherman overheating?

sounds like you have a problem there DO NOT RUN IT FOR NOW!!!
look on the tag on the motor and give us the number there it will be on the clamp part the number should start with 55...... itll be about 9 digits or so and maybe a letter or two

was

Cadet

sounds like you have a problem there DO NOT RUN IT FOR NOW!!!
look on the tag on the motor and give us the number there it will be on the clamp part the number should start with 55...... itll be about 9 digits or so and maybe a letter or two
Hi, the difference is that i had bought a spare outboard that did not run (i got it for the prop). This had a better leg and chassis so i changed this, but the motor didn't run. On this bought outboard it says 5522b 41967 which i believe is 1961. The original clamp on my running outboard definetely has no tag. I can only assume that my motor is close in age to this as they look exactly the same.

carholme

Rear Admiral

was;

If you look just below the fuel pump on the powerhead, there should be a dollar size welch plug with the engine model and s/n. Look closely for the stamped lettering as it may have been painted over. I have a 1961 5.5, 5522B, s/n 51844 and it is a great little engine.

I did have to completely strip the exhaust cover and cylinder head to physically clean out the water passageways as they are small and it doesn't take much to close them down, especially after many years of operation, doubly to boot if it has seen any saltwater.

It does sound like you have blockage somewhere or the new impeller is not locked to the driveshaft with the small pin.

Do you have a parts manual, if not, I can send you one.

I don't know how much experience you have with this engine but here is a primer:

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...ower Unit and Replace Impeller Water Pump.htm

Regards

Gerry

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I used to have a 5522 also. Great little engine. Purred like a cat. But you do sound like you're overheating. You should be able to touch the head for a few seconds when it's running and not be in discomfort. You should also replace you thermostat once it's running well. The previous owner probably removed it as it was overheating so now you have the problem. Was it a salty engine? It does sound like you're going to hafta clear out some passages.

Are you running a flush attachment or in a barrel? When I completed my '58 powerhead swap, was running it in a small garbage can, water was discharging fine. After a short while of recirulating the water it too became too hot to touch, normal. On the boat in the water no problems.

levi_tsk

Ensign

good point sportster ... if your running it in a small volume of water it would get too hot after a few mins

good point sportster ... if your running it in a small volume of water it would get too hot after a few mins

For comparison here's a Youtube video of mine running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSu0GhyrWls
You can see the it's discharging water nicely and the water source is small. This powerhead is a '63 but I'm using the '58 head so there is no thermostat.

was

Cadet

Are you running a flush attachment or in a barrel? When I completed my '58 powerhead swap, was running it in a small garbage can, water was discharging fine. After a short while of recirulating the water it too became too hot to touch, normal. On the boat in the water no problems.

Yes, I am running it in a barrel. And to answer some of the others, it most probably was used in salt water as 99.9% of boats would here in Auckland New Zealand, where we are all close to the sea and not lakes. It also (as i said before) pump the water fine. I guess the only real test would be to try it on the water. This is going to be an auxiliary to my dt65 Suzuki. Thanks to all quick responses.

levi_tsk

Ensign

be careful and keep an eye on the temp while you are testing it
i have a sugestion i dont know if it would help or not but it might be worth a go
i poured vineger into the head and cooling passages on my engine and it got ALOT of crud out however without taking it apart you cant do that so maybe grab a couple gallons and pour it into your test barrel? - youll know if its working or not because the water will get pretty dirty as the vineger cleans the pasages this might help dislodge some of the crud inside the motor which would help it run cooler

was

Cadet

Thanks Gerry, a parts diagram would be great. I do recall a brittle rubber part 'falling out'. It looks like this fitted over the drive shaft. It wasn't the water pump grommet as these were completely different. What would that rubber part do?

levi_tsk

Ensign

could be the lower crankshaft seal and if that fell out youve got problems
can you take a pic of it and post it?

carholme

Rear Admiral

was;

Please send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the parts manual to you.

Gerry

was

Cadet

I'm new here, so i hope you can see the attachment. I have added a little diagram on the picture as a side on slice of the rubber thing.

Attachments

• Rubber Thingy.jpg
    Rubber Thingy.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

levi_tsk

Ensign

yep thats your crankshaft seal take your power head off and replace it BEFORE you take it out again you should be able to get that seal for about 10-15 bux

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yep, that seal is very important. It stops water from getting into the bottom of the engine and destroying it. I have included a small pic of it. sorry I couldn't make it any bigger but that's right out of the manual. And speaking of which, I have the parts manual for the 5522.If you want it, PM me your request and email address.

1961 5.5 Lower Crank seal.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

was;

You should have the parts manual now and you will see the parts you described on page 12.

Gerry

was

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys. I purchased the seal for about $NZ10. It was in fact a bit different from the part that i had showed in this forum, it had a metal surround, whereas the part i showed was purely rubber. I had ignored those top shaft parts when re-assembling in the past and to tell you the truth there is another issue. The spring is broken. To get by for now i placed an additional washer inbetween the broken spring bits to give it enough 'spring' pressure. I reassembled everything and yahoo, the motor runs cool enough to place my hand on it. The side where the petrol pump is, gets a little hot, but i'm still able to touch without scolding myself. The rest is only warm, whereas before it would boil water. Thanks again.

carholme

Rear Admiral

was;

Thanks for letting us know and I hope that you have a great time with the engine.

Gerry