IRB Sevens World Series - (US & Canada there)

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Seeing it's cold and you blokes are locked up inside, here is something to take your mind off the weather for a while.

The IRB Sevens World Series (IRB = International Rugby Board) is currently in Wellington, New Zealand.

It is played in many countries around the world.
Quite a big international affair, with an extremely tough game being played, but a near cult following by teams, supporters and fans.
It's international following is quite astonishing actually.

Canada and America qualified for the tournament (take my word for it - this is one very serious tournament!)

If you want to visit this site, you will see mention of teams from America and Canada, and if you look thru the pictures, you might even see how your country was represent to "the world".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...642/New-Zealand-screams-into-sevens-semifinal

(I am not even going to take you to the cheeleader squads site)

Cheers
Phillip

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: IRB Sevens World Series - (US & Canada there)

Faster but I still prefer the full rugby team style rather then the sevens, good to see USA get involved but they still have a huge amount of improvement to be taken seriously so I remain an all blacks fan until then!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You'd be pleased to know the wee sheila on the first page was a Canadian supporter.
Bit unusual for a Canadian living in Colorado be follow the All Blacks isn't it?

I have been left in a vacuum for the past 25yr.
Always an All Black supporter, then shifted to Aus.
To make matters worse the wifes BIL was a top player, and on retirement went coaching, and had some pretty important teams, so you can understand our predicament.
It is not so bad now, as he went to the Jap team for a while, and now is in Trinidad-Tobago so he suffers from the same isolation as us.
Cheers
Phillip

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well I got into Rugby 10 years or so ago, I liked the attitude of the all blacks, Warriors. Became a Carlos Spencer fan, then the Haka and well being the best team in the world too. Hard to be an Eagles fan when for all intents and purposes they suck. I am all blacks first then Aus. but always a homer hoping the USA gets better. Also I'm an American, I fly the Canadian flag in honor of the Canadian World Junior Hockey team that beat the USA and therefore I lost the bet, but Have always felt Canada to be the USA's sister nation not lesser but equal to us so its not demeaning to me in any way to fly the Maple Leaf.