Oily residue coming from under Flywheel 2006 Optimax 175

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have oil that seams to be coming from under the flywheel, it does not seem like much but noticed a little last back in the fall when i was putting it up for the winter.
what could it be?

2006 Mercury Optimax 175

here are some pictures
1003828u.jpg

1003826h.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oily residue coming from under Flywheel 2006 Optimax 175

Check the oil line from compressor to upper main to see if it is loose,has pin hole and blowing oil on block and also check the upper crank seal as I have seen several on the 2.5 liter block engine "popped" loose from upper main housing.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok im guessing the upper seal is under the fly wheel and im going to have to remove it to check? now its not a lot of oil, could i clean it up and go run it to see if it accumulates more?

also say it is the seal , how hard or how much would that be to get fixed?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

also say it is the seal , how hard or how much would that be to get fixed?
Easy fix, new seal and short piece if PVC pipe.!!! If it is seal is leaking dont run it much as top cylinder and bearing are going to be lean. Usually you can hear tis on a regular motor as it pop,pop pops when rev"ed and it comes back to idle. The Opti compressor/injectors is so noisy you cant hear it.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Easy fix, new seal and short piece if PVC pipe.!!! If it is seal is leaking dont run it much as top cylinder and bearing are going to be lean. Usually you can hear tis on a regular motor as it pop,pop pops when rev"ed and it comes back to idle. The Opti compressor/injectors is so noisy you cant hear it.
Ok thanks, but how can i make sure it is the seal that is leaking?
and if so can you link or describe the process of fixing the seal.

Im just trying to figure this out lol. when i cleaned it off it was real thick almost like grease but its hard to tell because opti oil is brown.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

anyone have any idea how to diagnos and fix the upper seal, im guessing i pull the fly wheel?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Remove the flywheel and inspect seal for leakage. If it needs replacing, remove seal with seal puller,clean upper housing with brake cleaner,apply blue loctite to rim of new seal and lighten install, use short piece of pvc pipe 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 and use it as drive to install seal.
1243886626398__MatcoTools_LSP1LipSealPuller_PTEN_0.png

optimax135

Recruit
I have oil that seams to be coming from under the flywheel, it does not seem like much but noticed a little last back in the fall when i was putting it up for the winter.
what could it be?

2006 Mercury Optimax 175

here are some pictures
1003828u.jpg

1003826h.jpg
Hi Guys, Hope you can help, I have just found some oil under the flywheel of my 2006 135 Opti. I had the transom repaired in the spring, the shop removed the motor and replaced it afterward. Test drive everything fine. ran hard for 2 weeks came home with the motor tilted and notice a small oil leak coming from the oil lines between the motor and where the oil lines enter the hull, not on the motor. I examined the lines by sliding the mesh cover out of the way and noticed two connections for the two oil lines, one was off there was no zip tie to be seen, and all the other connections all had zip ties. reconnected the oil line and zip-tied it. Thought I dodged a bullet. The next day I remove the cowl to look at the engine and I notice oil under the flywheel area, a small pool but thin coating on a large area under the flywheel, and no dripping down to the lower cowl or down the side of the engine. Any ideas? flywheel seal? oil lines?