Fishing the Elbow, Jan 30 Florida West Coast

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
We've had some lousy weather conditions the past few weeks that have made it impossible to go out and enjoy a nice day of fishing. So when i got the call from Gordo this week planning this trip I was all over it. As usual, we left Ft. Desoto park in southern Pinellas county around 7:00. Forum members Gordo35, Clwyglfr & Triumphrick were joined by Frank and Arrow to head out to some deeper water...just 'cause the seas would let us!

We were rounding the channel into Bunces pass and look over to starboard to see two boats high and dry...the seasonably low tides had caught some more boaters...

Gordo eased the Contender up on plane, and off we went to our first stop; a wreck called the Yellowfin. Contender fishing on a wrecked Yellowfin, imagine that!

Most everyone but yours truly hooked a vertical jig to some jigging rods and dropped down. We were in 160' and it didn't take long for the action to start. Immediately I looked up from putting a frozen spanish sardine on and everyones rod had a bow in it!

Amberjack after amberjack started hitting the deck!
Jan302011011.jpg

Jan302011002.jpg

Jan302011003.jpg

Five nice fish hit the fishbox, so we decided to head out a little deeper. Then we hit this...
Jan302011016.jpg

And then these...

Jan302011014.jpg

Jan302011012.jpg

All of the ARS (American Red Snapper) were not legal. So they were carefully vented and released. We had a few gag grouper and one scamp come aboard.
Great day on the water..low 70's and flat! Ran a total of 189 miles and burned about 140 gals. Worth every penny..

Here is a photobucket link for a few more pics...

If you're snowbound, these may warm you up a little!!

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll422/triumphrick/The elbow Jan 30 2011/

sasto

Captain
Re: Fishing the Elbow, Jan 30 Florida West Coast

Amazing feat!

Both fish are as tough as they come..... and I don't see an electric reel for the snapper?

That jack is bigger than I've ever caught....or anybody else on a boat trip.

Happy Hunting!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Now THAT reminds me of back home Cali fishing!!!
(except the jacks are Yellowtails and on the surface!)

Diane would die if I could get her on some bigguns like that!
You sure made the best of your weather window, been pretty ugly lately!

Fly Rod

Commander

Congratulations on a very good day of fishing. :)

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice report and not to soon ... weather has been killing us all but it's nice to see someone is dialed-in ... you must have been on top of the elbow with that depth ... see any tuna or bills while you were out there ?