1996 50 johnson trim locked?

whalerfreak22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all i have removed my trim unit to clean up and repaint the motor housing.i have assembled it and now have a big problem the ram will not go down(it was up when i took the motor housing off).i have tried using the manual release screw and the hydrolic fill screw.it still wont go down:mad: what could be causing this:confused::confused: any imput would be greatly appriciated:).

James R

Commander
Re: 1996 50 johnson trim locked?

Leave the fill screw in place or go get something to clean up the mess. Back out the relief screw about a 1.5 turns. Put the unit securely in a vice and using a piece of wood through the pivot pin hole push down. It will take some beef to move it.

whalerfreak22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

theres no way to move it with the trim motor?ive tried trimming it down with the trim motor and ive tried forcing the ram down with the weight of the engine and still nothing!seems like theres air locked in it or something i just dont know.ive also tried trimming it with the release screw in and the hydrolic screw in and nothing.any other suggestions?

James R

Commander

There is only two things that can prevent retraction. One, hydraulic pressure and two, mechanical lock up. Try loosening the hydraulic pipe at the bottom of the cylinder.
Be very careful it may be pressurized. If the shaft will move with a little oil removed then there is a blockage or a bad valve in the system. If the shaft does not move then the cylinder will have to be taken apart.Either way that would be a good time to take it to marine shop.