55 hp chrysler clutch...

lankymitch

Recruit
Hey guys,

My 55 hp Chrysler (around 76 i think) finds it hard to get into forward gear and i beleive the clutch has worn down.

Would anyone know how to find model number of the part i need for this?

Or any other suggestions as to why i cant get into gear? yet reverse works fine.

model is 557 gg and serial is 4354.

Thanks

rickryder

Commander
Re: 55 hp chrysler clutch...

Welcome to iboats!
Bad cable? cable out of adjustment? Do you have a repair manual for your motor? Let me know if you need a copy I have the same motor on my tri hull.

Here is a link for your parts diagrams for that motor http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/1725.cfm

You can also buy some parts on this site look in the marine store....top of the page far left corner.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Difficulty in entering forward gear is always a linkage adjustment issue.

Difficulty staying in gear is worn dogs on the clutch and gears.

If it is worn dogs, sometimes reversing the dog clutch will help for a season but the only fixes are to either reface the dogs square or replace the gear and clutch--at 200 per gear and 130 for the clutch. Cheaper to buy a used lower unit.

lankymitch

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!
Bad cable? cable out of adjustment? Do you have a repair manual for your motor? Let me know if you need a copy I have the same motor on my tri hull.

Here is a link for your parts diagrams for that motor http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/1725.cfm

You can also buy some parts on this site look in the marine store....top of the page far left corner.

Thanks heaps for the reply!
I guess ill try adjust the linkage. Any good guides out there??
Or worth taking to a shop??

Also I don't have a manual. Any idea where I can buy one???

The boat doesn't get into gear well but then also if it does, once I rev a bit it loses gear. So maybe its a combination of the clutch dog and the linkage....

Cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You say Cheers so you might be a Brit or an Aussey. (profile?)
I'd say maybe someone might be close to help but I don't think so.
Do like I said on my other post and put it in the water and un-hook the linkage and shift by hand.
U can buy American TOO!! J

lankymitch

Recruit

Ok awesome. Yes I'm Aussie ha. I have filled out profile.

When you say unhook cables etc... I honestly have little idea on which ones. Just the ones connected from the throttle??

Any in depth guides? Because I have had little experience as this is my first boat!!!

But thanks everyone for the help :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh, no! Don't take it to a shop: They will either refuse to work on it or simply bugger it up and take your money.

I did think of another cause for the problem though: Those lower units did not have proper drainage in the lower unit and after years of use, silt would pack around the shift rod causing it to bind. There is so much compliance in the system, that the rods bend rather than moving through the seal and shifting the lower unit.

Search the forum for posts and instructions for dropping the lower unit then check the front cavity where the shift rod goes down. If you also search the forum for shift linkage adjustment, you should find several threads on how to do it.

If you are at all mechanically inclined--can you tighten a bolt or put plugs in your auto?--adjusting and repairing these engines is simple. They were almost the most basic outboard you could buy in their time.

Of course, if you want to fly up here to Pennsylvania, I will fix it for you. LOL (what it is? 14 hours?)

If you can get a Clymers manual, there are good diagrams and decent instructions on repairs.

rickryder

Commander

I have a shop manual for your motor I can e-mail you a copy if you like. PM me your e-mail and I can send it to you.

lankymitch

Recruit

I have been searching the forums extensively but still can't find a linkage adjustment 'how to'.

I have tried looking through manual but it doesnt quite explain it.

Does any one have a link or any idea on where one would be?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

On the linkage:Unhook the cables(mark them),Make sure that the shifter on the motor is in neutral.
Shift the shifter a couple of times.It MUST shift easy.Any tightness,replace the cable or grease the shifter.It must shift easy.If it's stiff.Unhook the cables from the shifter,try moving by hand.Should be NO resistance.Any stiffness,REPLACE it.Try shifting the shifter.Should shift easily.Any resistance ,grease it and see why it's stiff.
After you find out the shifter and cables are ok.
Make sure the motor is in neutral.Spin the prop by hand,shift it by hand,FWD to N to REV.A couple of times till your sure you have it in N.
Then after you have the shifter checked, try to connect the shift cable.Adjust the connector till it matches.It should just slide over the ball.
The throttle cable. It should have a bit of tension on the cable when you reconnect it.No tension it might idle high when in neutral.Hope you can understand this.Jerry

If you want,send me and the wife a ticket (just dying to use my new pasport)and I'll come and adjust it.You do that and I'll even change the oil in the lower:) J