Trailer jack question

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an '87 Bayliner capri cuddy It's 17'. I would like to get a new trailer jack for the trailer. All I ever seem to be able to find are 1000 LB. capacity. Will this due? I would like to get one that swings up. Does this change anything? It is the original trailer. Maybe there isn't even enough room to swing to the jack up.? Like wise with the tounge, what would the correct capacity be? Thank you.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer jack question

With a boat that size I'm guessing you have a tongue @ 200-225 lbs. so a 1,000# trailer jack is more than enough, by a factor of 4 or so.

Treager

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer jack question

With a boat that size I'm guessing you have a tongue @ 200-225 lbs. so a 1,000# trailer jack is more than enough, by a factor of 4 or so.
I concur.

The way to check your tongue weight is fairly simple...
http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&contentpieceid=1347

Granted, your jack is slightly farther back so the weight that the jack sees will be slightly higher, but most jacks will do fine.
The thing you don't want to do is extend the jack to its maximum height or try and roll it around on rough surfaces under load. A lot of jacks don't do well when handling sideway forces. Typically, the weakest part of the jack is at the swing plate where it mounts to the tongue. Most use a fairly heavy bolt, but stamped plates can bend. Don't even bother using the jacks with the snap retaining rings on the swing plate, they're dangerous (IMO)