OMC Cobra 5.7 Steering System - service or replace?

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I Have an OMC Cobra 5.7 setup and I believe it has a power steering system.

I would like to service my steering system so that it is smooth and responsive. I was unable to find any info on this system and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

I looked back at the steering cilinder and it looks really worn, and the seals may be shot as well.

Is there a way to service it to get it back to "like new" condition? Or should I be looking at aftermarket steering systems to replace?

thanks

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Cobra 5.7 Steering System - service or replace?

Year is 1989. Donzi Ragazza. Dont know the serial # and wont be able to get it... boat is wrapped for the winter. Just doing some research before the spring.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey HighLine, I have that same boat/engine/setup.

My steeering makes some noise when I turn and I found out it is loose somehow. I can see it shake back and forth when turning. but like you I cant find any service info in the manual.

You should get an OEM manual.

The serial #'s lister for 1989 OMC 5.7's are:

Model 350AMLMED
Model 350APRMED
Model 574AMLMED
Model 574APRMED

If you have power steering (PS pump is mounted right below the alt on mine) then only 574APRMED, and 350APRMED apply. The P in the 5th character of the serial stands for Power Steering.

Bondo

Staff member

I looked back at the steering cilinder and it looks really worn, and the seals may be shot as well.

Ayuh,... With such an ill defined Problem,...

It's hard to say what the fix might be....

What's Worn Lookin',..??
Do the seals leak, or not,..??
Got a picture,..??
Does it Work,..??
Does it make a Noise,..??
Is there fluid in it,..??

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey HighLine, I have that same boat/engine/setup.

My steeering makes some noise when I turn and I found out it is loose somehow. I can see it shake back and forth when turning. but like you I cant find any service info in the manual.

You should get an OEM manual.

The serial #'s lister for 1989 OMC 5.7's are:

Model 350AMLMED
Model 350APRMED
Model 574AMLMED
Model 574APRMED

If you have power steering (PS pump is mounted right below the alt on mine) then only 574APRMED, and 350APRMED apply. The P in the 5th character of the serial stands for Power Steering.

You nailed it on the head. The steering wheel shakes back and forth when turning, it almost feels as if it is not lubricated at all. Very loose. I've checked the fluid level, all appear to be fine.

Im convinced i have the 350APRMED system since like you I have a power steering pump located under the alternator and it is a 350 motor.

thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I had an OEM service manual for my previously installed OMG 460 King Kobra.

My steering cyl and/or valve leaked a bit but otherwise worked ok......BUT, it was evident that they are not rebuildable and must be replaced if you have a problem with them.

After you disconnect your steering cable and determine that it's not the cable, you'll probably need to remove/replace the steering cyl OR control valve(which I don't think is available anymore NEW)

I am not sure if you can still buy them but EBAY usually has a few of them, or you could visit a bote-bone-yard and find one. They didn't change them for several years.

Doug Russell DOES indicate a part number and price for the cyl and some other parts.......Good luck on that.....

View attachment 82034

I finally did fix my "problem"....

The method I used is in my "signature"

Good luck,

Rick

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

You nailed it on the head. The steering wheel shakes back and forth when turning, it almost feels as if it is not lubricated at all. Very loose. I've checked the fluid level, all appear to be fine.

Im convinced i have the 350APRMED system since like you I have a power steering pump located under the alternator and it is a 350 motor.

thanks

Actually it could be 350APRMED or 574APRMED. The 57 on the second model # stands for 5.7 which is what you have.

You need to look at your model/serial # sticker to be sure. I personally haven't saw anything different between the 2 but Im sure there is some difference.

What I was referring to when I was talking about my problem was that I can hear and feel the actual steering system banging and vibrating. Not the wheel but the actual steering system that's attached to the inside of the transom.

If I take the engine cover off and turn the wheel I can see the whole thing shaking. I just cant find out what to tighten.

So try that. Try turning the wheel (engine started) while looking backwards at the engine compartment with the cover off. If its the same thing as my problem you will see the whole thing shaking and moving when you turn the wheel.

I guess you cant do that since your boats wrapped. Sorry I forgot.