Propping a 55hp Evinrude by Tach Conversions...

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
A lot is coming together since re-powering my boat with a 1977 55hp. I have determined that a bad setting on my tach and under pitched prop has caused my lack of speed and overall disappointment with the re-power.

I checked my tach this weekend and it was set to 6, which would be the correct setting for my original '97 50. I randomly tried another few settings, but they showed it idling around 4 grand and whatnot... obviously wrong. @ 6 is shows me idling around 1000 and WOT ~5100.

When I repowered with the rebuilt '77 55hp I didn't change the setting on the tach, and was disappointed with the purchase bc it would barely rev over 5 grand with the thirteen pitch prop. max speed was low 20's. With the '97 50hp motor i could rev 5600 with a 17 P prop, and move close to thirty MPH.

From what I understand the '77 is a 10 point, 5 pulse system, meaning that the true RPM's would be equal to (6/5)*(tach reading). I am curious if anyone can confirm this for me!!

This would put me over 6000 RPM WOT, and at risk of blowing the thing up!!!

I am using a thirteen pitch prop I bought for wakeboarding, because i trashed the original 17P on an oyster bar.

I felt that if I can barley turn 5 grand with a thirteen pitch prop moving up in pitch would be over proping. Now, based on my math, I need to reprop because I am currently overreving the motor.

Does all this make sense? I can't get to the lake till the weekend and would like to get a replacement prop ordered today. I think a 17 P is in order, as operating range is 5-6 grand, and currently I am turning (6/5)*(5000)=6000 RPMs (If my formula is correct)

I'd appriciate any input... I've been trying to get this right ever since the re-power last summer :eek:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Propping a 55hp Evinrude by Tach Conversions...

In 77 the motor came with a 15" with sizes ranging from 11 to 19.You didn't say what boat you are running.The 13 is toward the low end and I think you would find it on a pretty heavy boat.
Perhaps you could borrow a shop tach,make a run with a tech or get a tinytach.About $50 and easy to install.
Perhaps if you post your tach Q on the E/J forum you'll get more detailed replys.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the reply steel, its on a 16ft welcraft center console flats/bay boat. its a heavy boat for a 16' but I'm pretty sure that its over reving with the 13P on it, just the tach is lying to me bc the setting. I'm going to try it on sunday with a 17P prop and see what she turns. 15P might be what I settle with, since the boat is heavy for a 16'

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Welcraft didn't make many 16's I guessed a few years all were about 1,000 lbs.
A pretty good load for dry weight with a 55. But let us know how the performance is with both props. Hole shot,ability to stay on plane etc.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am curious if anyone can confirm this for me!!

I can't, but a marine mechanic probably could. I believe I want to KNOW the real RPM before dumping any time or money at what I THINK is happening ... ;)