Install- temp guage

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm in the process of installing a teleflex cylinder head temp guage and would prefer to screw directly into block as opposed to using a bracket. My ? is if I do so does the end of the sending unit have to contact back of the tapped boss and do I need to put in grease or something to make it pick up the temperature reading more accurately. My tapped hole is 3/8 inch and the sender is 1/8 inch so can I just install a flush brass bushing to adapt. If so the end of the sender may not contact block. Also what guage of wire should I use for sending unit to guage and must it be stranded? My motor is a 1989 Evinrude e40TLCEC and the tapped boss I found is about 4 inches to the left of the upper spark plug. Is this a good place to install?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Install- temp guage

Here is a photo of my senders, I installed on both sides, as for the contact you need to use and I quote :) "Thermal grease (also called thermal gel, thermal compound, thermal paste, heat paste, heat sink paste, heat transfer compound, or heat sink compound) is a fluid substance, originally with properties akin to grease, which increases the thermal conductivity of a thermal interface by compensating for the irregular surfaces of the components. In electronics, it is often used to aid a component's thermal dissipation via a heat sink."
Check ebay for Thermal Grease best price..
As for the grade West Marine sold both Gauges and wire not sure what the grade was ...
Not the best picture of my installation but here it is ..
DSCF0016.jpg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You don't have to buy heat transfer compound. Shortening like Crisco works fine, as would almost any decent grease, even Vaseline. Use a small amount (enough to fill the small void between the sender and the head metal. For electronics use, a different story. I use a Dow Corning heat transfer product.

If you're using a Teleflex OB sensor, it should just screw into the head w/o any adapter

Teleflex Sender Install  1-23-2011 5-12-15 PM.jpg

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the input. I will have to put in a flush bushing since the sender is 1/8 inch and the tapped boss is 3/8 inch. Therefore the back of the sender will probably not contact the metal in back of boss. Do i need to install spacers or just fill hole with the thermal grease