Here we go again.

bassman284

Commander
Re: Here we go again.

Wow. You guys just can't catch a break. Makes our latest snowstorm look mild.

Had the flood waters pretty much subsided? I haven't gotten much news on that recently.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You have certainly had it rough there this season.
Hope everyone gets through it O K
Stay safe.

Jeep Man

Commander

How are you doing Phil? Did you fair ok or are you facing a mess? I know some of your countrymen are in a bad way. Take cover for the upcoming cyclone. Remember, it's not how hard the wind is blowin' ,it's what the wind is blowin'. If you get hit by a flying Land Rover...........:eek::eek:

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I am way south, so we will be fine so long as it does not change directions.
This thing is absolutely huge - as big as Katrina, and it looks as if it is going to hit the city of Cairns.
They are talking about possible rainfall of 1000mm in some areas (is that 39"?)
If 'something' does not intervene and change everything, then I think we are in for a pretty big disaster.
Cheers
Phillip

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sounds as if your area will miss this one, good thing as you guys had it pretty bad last go around.
Did you ever find someone to take your crop.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Sounds as if your area will miss this one, good thing as you guys had it pretty bad last go around.
Did you ever find someone to take your crop.

Yes, our Vendor got back into op. and our 3rd load went out yesterday.
BUT, wife tells me we have no income for 3 weeks starting from last friday (we are paid in arrears), but that is not an issue, we have already trimmed out outgoings so it is just a matter of being careful then we will have enough to make wages etc.
You wouldn't believe what we threw out tho. Put much of it at the gate 'free'. 1,000's and 1,000's of pots!
This cyclone is going to wreck part of our business for a while though as we also supply into that area.
It will work out fine tho.

Cheers
Phillip

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Next time put a can out also. Some of the free takers might leave donations.

LadyFish

Admiral

Philip, I didn't realize she was a Cat 5. My God, the devastation will be unbelivable. I will keep those in harms way in my thoughts and prayers. You and yours be safe and hang in there, things will get better. Please let us know you are okay.

Batten down the hatches. Storms that size can effect an entire country.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Phil,

Been thinking about you through all of this. Say hey to Heyden and Anita for me. Good luck, good to hear that it will miss you and that the other stuff is starting to subside.

bassman284

Commander

Philip, I didn't realize she was a Cat 5. My God, the devastation will be unbelivable. I will keep those in harms way in my thoughts and prayers. You and yours be safe and hang in there, things will get better. Please let us know you are okay.

Batten down the hatches. Storms that size can effect an entire country.

Stuff I saw a couple of days ago was predicting only (ONLY!) a Cat 4 or "high" Cat 4. Think it's picked up.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

There are a lot of people who don't have a home to ever go back to tonight.
We feel very lucky and fortunate.

The devastation is incredible, but, and i don't mean this to sound callous, (how can i put it), fortunately a silver bullet sent the damned storm south just a fraction, and went clean between 2 cities, instead really badly damaged small towns in between.
The agriculture industry has been all but decimated (bananas and sugar). I sort-of understand the growers. Their situation leaves me speechless.

Anita knows the area a little, and tells me it is 4 hrs drive between cities of Townsville (1,300k from here) and Cairns(1,700 from here), who both have damage but nothing like it would have been if this Cat 5 had hit them directly.

One town that was hit, was hit in 2006 by a cat 4, and this time, all the repaired building (close to 100% of them) were all up to current building specs and suffered little damage.

So, as insensitive as it seems, as a State we have come out of it pretty well.

I have just been out on the patio with Anita discussing life as it has been recently; QC's name came up (everyone says gidday Kevin); LF, Anita is never going to get a canal property; and plan D is now upgraded to plan B and a strategy put on paper.

All we need now is a @#$%^& bush fire to come roaring up the valley.
Anyway, we personally feel very lucky and fortunate.

Cheers
Phillip

LadyFish

Admiral

Phil, I'm glad to hear you and your family are okay. Agriculturally, not a good thing for your county or ours.

We haven't seen any pictures on the news yet. I'll be looking today online.

Be well.