small motor on a pontoon?

blackberg

Seaman
So I have been looking at pontoon's lately, and the price range I want to stay at means it would have an older 2 stroke in it. Most likely I would be getting a 20 footer, and figure 4 people tops for those places. Some of the lakes I want to go require a 2001+ or 4 stroke motor. Was wondering if I where to buy something like a 4hp 4 stroke, would it have enough power to actually be able to move around. I know it wont go fast. I also have an 80lb thrust minn kota that I bought already.

thanks
-bb

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: small motor on a pontoon?

Boy, that is really pushing it, 4 horse is really really small and I really don't think it would do the job, the poor little thing would be revving its brains out just trying to get the boat moving, throw in any kind of wind or weather and I don't think it would do it.

Add to that I don't think you can get a remote controlled engine that small and a tiller on a toon is kind of out of the question.

I wouldn't go with any less than 20 myself, that would move the boat okay.

goldnrod24

Cadet

OK, you are at the furthest end of the lake from your dock/launch/safe haven. A storm blows up and you have to motor into the wind to safety. Do you really want to put you and your guests at peril as you try (unsucessfully) to get back?

Don't be a bum. If you really want to boat safely, pony up for some horsepower. This is not the place to skimp. Buy an older boat, or shorter, or something that is a safer rig.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So I have been looking at pontoon's lately, and the price range I want to stay at means it would have an older 2 stroke in it. Most likely I would be getting a 20 footer, and figure 4 people tops for those places. Some of the lakes I want to go require a 2001+ or 4 stroke motor. Was wondering if I where to buy something like a 4hp 4 stroke, would it have enough power to actually be able to move around. I know it wont go fast. I also have an 80lb thrust minn kota that I bought already.

thanks
-bb

A 4hp??? Assuming you did not mean 40hp, a 4hp won't push a 20 footer into much wind.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you want to stay small with the motor, I'd look at one of the 9.9 HP models that are common on pontoons that are used on HP restricted lakes. Won't go fast, but will move you along. As for the 4 HP, you might just stick with the 80# trolling motor you already have.

blackberg

Seaman

thanks, 9.9 seems more reasonable then, there are alot of electric pontoons around here and have been trying to figure out their power ratings but its next to impossible.

Its obvious that with a small motor I wont be able to cover much water and thats not the plan.

-bb

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

i can tell you that the 9.9 merc i just took off of my 20ft pontoon did in fact push her along surprisingly well actually, but the reason she was on there was due to HP restriction on lake that she came from. I just replaced her with a 20hp and am confident that i will be able to push into a headwind should i need to.... i really wish i could afford the fuel and the other expenses associated with an even larger engine.... but the 20 hp will do ok i believe. should have a float report in about 2 to three weeks.... :)

with the 9.9 the response to throttle changes was slow and the braking power of an emergency shift to reverse was lacking. but it was capable of putting along all day on 6 gallons of fuel.

Sean

blackberg

Seaman

I was lookign at trolling motors just to look ,and saw this system that uses 2 110# electric trollling motors and *can* be used for main propulsion. The video of a pontoon shows it moving an ok pace.

-bb

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Blackberg do you think you could post that link for us??

blackberg

Seaman

here it is,
http://www.lencomarine.com/dual_digital_drives/dualdigitaldetai.html

I read though that the lenco motors are no that good though, BUT minnkota came out with a very similar specd product for about the same money that I would buy before this. But see the "horsepower" ratings on their site, the top of the line is 3hp, and that toon in video is moving, not fast and wont be able to pull a skier, but its moving

-bb