1981 Bayliner Monterey/Ciera? Trim tab problem

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I went to get a tag for this "thing" and was told that I do not have a monterey but have a "Ctera" which I think is obviously a misspelling by our wonderful staff in Alabama courthouses. So, what is it...a Monterey or a Cierra? BTW, the folks in Cullman county courthouse are wonderful compared to the lacadasical, don't give a frogs butt attitude of the people in Jefferson County (Birimingham) courthouse.<br /> This thing is beset with several problems. The new one I've found (and still haven't even put it in the water yet) is that one of the leveling trim tabs doesn't want to move (I am not sure what the proper name of these things are but that seems to be what is in all the books). I unscrewed the hydraulic lines and the starbord tab went up...that was the only way I could get that joker to move at all. The port side moved some but not much. Apparently the system also has a habbit of blowing fuses. The pump works and the motor runs fine but it appears that something is not allowing the back and forth flow of hydraulic oil. I don't know diddly about these things but can take anything apart and put it back together. I'd just appreciate anyone with some experience at this to give me a little hint of what to do or look for. I'm not sure what kind of valves or other gizmo's are in the pump but I'd bet something is sticking or clogged because it builds up plenty of pressure in the lines....too... what kind of oil should this thingy use?... the guy I got it from had automatic trans fluid in it. This is a very nice boat in need of a little TLC and upholstery work so I'd like to hang onto it for a while but I wouldn't doubt that I'm looking at the serious possiblity of replacing the engine before long... anyone here know of an honest, serious reason why I should or should not swap engine block with the recently rebuilt engine in my old 1970 Chevy pick up?... I put a 305 in it out of a 1984 Camaro...which probably came out of something else..but I did do a major overhaul before putting it in my pick up.