New member who needs your opinion

mbecks21

Cadet
Hey all. New member here from Minnesota. I am in the market for a new bowrider but with all the manufacturers out there I'm kinda lost. I just want something that is well built, has good customer support and a decent warranty. I currently have a 1989 capri with some major engine troubles (ahem...Force). Shes been good up until the last year but its time for an upgrade anyways. I'm looking for a 18-20' bowrider and am leaning towards either a Glastron (buddy has an old Glastron... great boat!) or a Tahoe. If anyone has an opinion please share it! Thanks!

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: New member with some questions

I would recommend checking into the hull materials..I know many of the newer hulls are all composite and use no wood..I personally prefer this. I think the newer Tahoes are all composite but I am not sure. why not repower your capri??

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

welcome to iboats mbecks21 !
Some newer boats have zero wood which is much better than having rot possible.
do your research.
Glasrtons are very decent boats. If your looking for a newer used boat you can save a ton of cash. just study up on whatever you might get.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No comparison on the Glastron vs Tahoe. The Glastrons are very nice, well built boats. The Tahoe's while I don't have any direct experience, don't have as good of a reputation. I wanted a GX205 FS in the worst way when I was shopping last year. Unfortunately I couldn't find one in the right condition and price range so I went in a different direction with my Procraft. Good luck and have fun shopping. I'd say try to get a test drive, but I'm betting the water is a bit to hard to test one out right now!

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Ray has always had a good rep too. You might want to look around and see if you can find one but they are expensive.
Also be aware like anything else many companies have been bought out and quality has changed over the years.
Do your homework and good luck.

mbecks21

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. You guys are very helpful. Keep them coming!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You talking new or used?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

When comparing new boats side by side, I think Tahoe and Glastron on are in a very similar league for price, features and apparent "quality" of materials.

I'd give the edge to Glastron on build quality.

In the same price league I think you should add Bayliner and maybe Stingray to your list of potentials. Bayliners of today are a far superior to what they were 10 years ago. Stingrays are a good value...you can get a lot of boat for your money and they seem to be able to perform very well with less power required.

There are other boats to consider, however, you didn't mention a location or general price range.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would say the biggest questions are:

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. How long do you plan to keep it?

3. How do you intend to use it? - ski, cruise, wakeboard, fish, etc.

mbecks21

Cadet

Thanks again guys. I live in Minnesota and the boat will be used for skiing and leisure and maybe some light fishing. As for a price I guess under 25k would be good. I'd try to keep it for at least five years but who knows.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Go used unless you really enjoy horrendous depreciation. Not much worse for that then boats and RVs. I guess someone has to buy them new but it sure isn't going to be me.

BTMCB

Go used unless you really enjoy horrendous depreciation. Not much worse for that then boats and RVs. I guess someone has to buy them new but it sure isn't going to be me.

While EZ and others make a valid point about the "depreciation" hit on "new" boats, I for one am very glad that I bought "new". But, I bought a left over new 2008 in mid - 2009, so I got what I consider a great "deal". And, I have had the piece of mind of the warranty on the hull, engine and equipment. Plus, I have NOT had one time when the boat didn't fire right up or perform as expected, when expected (knock wood!). Read some of the horror stories on here about "used" boats and what people have have endured - another reason I went new. I have gone overboard maintaining mine and keeping it spotless. I am casually looking at the possibility of upgrading (yip, 2 / 4 footitus) and do NOT think I would take any depreciation hit at all based upon NADA and what a couple of dealers have said my trade would be valued at. Of course, I won't know for certain until a deal is done. Again, I did get a pretty good discount on the purchase price because it was a left over and a pretty sizable rebate from Maxum (who had just announced the line was being discontinued when I was finalizing the purchase). Just want to say that buying new isn't always a bad idea. So, in sum, I guess I am one of those folks that EZ and others need....LOL

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

And there are a lot of low usage boats out there that can be bought pretty cheap right now.

dsiekman

Hmmm...new for under 25k...that's a tough one. Take a look at a given manufacturer's product in that size that's five years old to get a sense of how it will depreciate.

mbecks21

Cadet

Hmmm...new for under 25k...that's a tough one.

You really think so? I was looking at some entry level bowriders at the boat show and online and they're between 21 - 23k depending on the options and before taxes of course. I just thought that would be a decent starting point. I want to buy new mostly for the peace of mind. Looking at some used boat sites I haven't really seen all that much. I must be looking in the wrong places.

EDIT: You're right. I've been looking at some 17 - 18 footers which would be fine for me and the girlfriend and they seem to fall in under 25k. Thanks.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

25K for a boat that is under 20 feet is a lot of money to spend with the economy the way it is. You should be able to get a really nice 2 or 3 year old boat for that kind of money. I would check out Chaparral and Sea Ray as well. A really well built 2 or 3 year old boat would be a better investment as a lot of the depreciation has happened but it is a lot less likely that you will have major issues unless someone abused the boat before you purchased. You can tell a lot about the boat by looking at maint records and having an in depth conversation with the previous owner about upkeep and care. I picked up a 2006 Chaparral 204SSI (21') 2 years ago with 37 hours on it that still looked brand new and still had 5 years left on the drive train warranty along with a lifetime hull warranty. Fully loaded with all the extras including a tower and fuel injected V-8 along with every other option offered that year. The PO paid 40K for it in 2006 and I paid 24K 2 years later. A good quality well built boat that has been taken care of should still look new after 2 or 3 years, you would be surprised what is out there on the used market.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

My 2 cents are if you can afford to buy new go for it I would have but all in all with my ray I'm satisfied after 8 years being the 2nd owner but not everyone is that lucky to find a good rig well taken care of. I would most definately go with the piece of mind theory who knows you may want to upgrade in a year or 2 just let the dealer know if your satisfied that's your plan and set up some ground work for that possible future deal. Good luck

mbecks21

Cadet

Sounds good but where should I look? Know of any good used boat websites?