No outboard experience.Rude got hot

victoriamartin

Recruit
1973 Evinrude 18 hp fastwin. Motor ran good. Didn't use the boat for about a month and put it in a barrel to test it before taking it out this weekend. Had no tell-tale stream so I replaced the impellar. Put it back in barrel and ran for about 10 minutes and water was spurting as before. Took it out today and it ran good with tell-tale for about 3 minutes, then the engine began to slow down quickly until it shut off. Had a little steam or smoke coming from under the engine cover. Trolled back in and tried to restart the engine just to see if it would fire. Pull rope is extremely hard to pull now and will not start. Have I blown some gaskets? Could this be something small like a thermostat? Help please.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: No outboard experience.Rude got hot

So it is hard to pull after cooling down? It ain't something small. You have a major problem. Probably burned it up.

victoriamartin

Recruit

Yes, even after cooling down for a couple of hours. Water was still coming from tell-tale, did I do something wrong when I replaced the impellar? All parts lined back up and joined back together properly when I rebolted.

levi_tsk

Ensign

how did the water pump housing look before while you had it apart?
if it looked anything like this thats your problem:

IMG0049-1.jpg

victoriamartin

Recruit

No. The housing was very smooth and very clean. I disassembled it again today after the engine shut down to reinspect the impellar and housing. Impellar looked 20 minutes old and housing was still clean.

levi_tsk

Ensign

hmm cooling passages might be crudded up which can become quite an undertaking to get clean
has it got a thermostat?

victoriamartin

Recruit

It has a thermostat according to engine diagrams, but it got dark on me before i could get it located on the engine. Did try the rope again and it is nearly impossible to pull.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You sure your gas was mixed with oil??

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed. over heated and warped now. Could be either oil or water but sounds like oil.

levi_tsk

Ensign

yep id go wrong oil mix
dang that was a darn good motor too ....
you could tear it down and try to rebuild it but youll need new pistons, rings and an overbore at the very least if you dont want to get into it that deep DONT THROW IT AWAY part it out so that others like it may live again OR hunt down one just like it and youll have a parts motor for it

victoriamartin

Recruit

thanks for all the responses. i mix oil @ 32:1 as per a rude dealers info when i bought it last year so i lean more toward water. unless that mix info was incorrect. first outboard so i called about mix ratio when i picked it up last year. yes was a great motor on a jon to bass conversion in progress... back to the drawing board i guess, or purchasing market anyways. thanks again, you guys told me what i was already thinking, fried it.