Air Compressor Issue

mscher

Lieutenant
I have a Chinese made air compressor (not Harbor Freight) that I have had about 5 years. It pumps up pretty good, has a 25 gallon tank and overall, all- right quality for the $125 I paid for it.

The problem is in the pressure switch. Apparently, it is not an on-at-this pressure and off-at-this presssure. It's an on-at-this-pressure and off at -max-pressure. It's touchy to set it to where the pressure does not drop too low, to run tools, until it kicks back on.

Now, it just keeps pumping, until the mechanical pressure relief valve pops. Not a good thing.

Anyway, I'd like to just purchase a decent pressure switch and replace the junky one. It apprears to have the usual one fitting, plus a small metal tube that comes off of it.

Are pressure switches somewhat standard, to where I could just match connector sizes etc.and the pressure range - max pressure, I want to work with?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Air Compressor Issue

They all attach basically the same way and are not hard to install.

I would match the air compressor size to one found locally and purchase a replacement switch based on a similar model. I have a craftsman 150 psi max 33 gal and if I had to do similar I would look for one with the same max psi etc.

bigdee

Commander

Do you still have the manual? It should have the cut-in as well as the cut-out settings.....you need to match these settings. On some of these compressors the motor will stall if the cut-in pressure is too high because the starting torque is closely matched to the cut-in pressure requirement. I have a HF model that behaves this way.

bigdee

Commander

Do you still have the manual? It should have the cut-in as well as the cut-out settings.....you need to match these settings. On some of these compressors the motor will stall if the cut-in pressure is too high because the starting torque is closely matched to the cut-in pressure requirement. I have a HF model that behaves this way.

Just an after thought...when you purchase a new swich make sure it has an unloader valve to allieviate the starting problem.