Johnson 28 SPL not going into/or slipping out of FWD gear

fireman74

Recruit
I recently got a Johnson 28 SPL believe it to be a 1988 or 1989 model. It will go into reverse and neutral fine but FWD I have to push the shifter all the way fwd and push down on the shifter near the motor to get it into gear and then it keeps popping back out until I eventually get it to stay in. Things I have tried is adjusting the shift linkage with little success and adjusting the shift cable. (now I don't know if the shift cable is adjustable at both ends?) I just adjusted the cable near the motor. I don't want to keep grinding the gears as I know that can't be good for them... any ideas are appreciated

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 28 SPL not going into/or slipping out of FWD gear

Sounds like you may have a worn clutch dog since it'll shift into reverse ok but not into forward. If it were the shift cable linkage, it wouldn't shift right in either gear.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The shift cable will only adjust at the motor. Do you have a manual to adjust the shift linkage correctly. A worn shift dog will start by jumping out of forward gear. It would be unlikely that it would simply stop going into forward. I would check the shift linkage, plus the shift rod connector.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There may very well be 2 issues at hand. You may have a worn clutch dog, due to improper adjustment, but is is likely the improper adjustment that is causing your issue of going into gear.

fireman74

Recruit

Thanks yall... I don't have a manual to know what the proper shift linkage should be set at or how to measure that anyhow nor how to change a clutch dog but at least I know now what other problems I could be having and that the cable doesn't adjust at the shifter by the steering wheel. I will get a mechanic to solve the problems... Thanks again!