cannot get into neutral will running

69MT

Recruit
I have a 1969 Mark Twain with Merc 160 I/O. At the end of the season last year I ran into this problem. Doesn't matter in forward or reverse I cannot pit it in neutral unless I shut the engine off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cannot get into neutral will running

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Sounds like the Shift Switch became unhooked...
It's right there where the forward cable meets the lower shift cable...

ziggy

Admiral

that would usually be indication that it's time to R&R the shift cable that runs between the drive and the shift plate inside the boat. could be an inop shift cut out switch, but the cable is more likely. could be an adj. but if it worked before, they don't go out of adj. i understand. they just wear out and then back to the cable itself needs to be replaced.

the shift interrupt switch must be actuated at the proper time for an mc-1 thourough alpha1 to come out of gear back into neutral due to undercut gears... when loaded, they don't want to come apart, hence it won't go back into neu. w/o turning off the engine for no load. then it'll shift into neu..

that's what i understand the usual reason is anyways. real techs may have a different idea. listen to them before me, i'm just joe boater..

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1969 Mark Twain with Merc 160 I/O. At the end of the season last year I ran into this problem. Doesn't matter in forward or reverse I cannot pit it in neutral unless I shut the engine off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the shift interrupt is not workin,.. See if the engine stalls when you manualy activate the switch. (on the shift linkage plate on/near engine)
When shiftin` out of gear this switch (should) stall the engine for a short.!.
Good luck!

69MT

Recruit

A great thanks to those who replied. I have had this boat for a couple of years now and maybe when I was doing some work on the interior I may have done something. I will definately be checking the interupt switch first. This would be the easiest thing to fix on this boat yet. If this isn't the problem...on to the shift cable replacement I guess. The boat is about 42 years old but runs like a new one.