Mariner 225 help! Fuel issue

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need a little help.

The motor is a Mariner 225 offshore, carb motor.
It's been sitting for about 2 years on a lift in Florida. The boat needs transom repairs and I need to get it off the lift to a ramp so I can get it fixed.

So far my father has charged the batteries, put 5 gallons of fresh gas in the one tank that was empty, and replaced the primer bulb.

It cranks over, and will run for a few seconds if you spray some starter fluid in the carbs.

I am not surprised that it is not getting fuel after sitting for so long.

I am planning to fly down in a week or so because dad is getting too old to be messing around with boats.....

I plan to change the fuel filter to start with, but is there any chance I could clear the carbs enough to get it running without pulling them off?
I really am not comfortable with trying to work on the motor while it's in the water.

Maybe Seafoam in some fresh gas?

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mariner 225 help! Fuel issue

Once I get it out of the water, I plan to get the carbs rebuilt, tuned up, impeller changed, etc.

All I need to do is get it to ide and maybe run just above idle for now.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just plan on taking some kits with ya as it sounds as if the needles are stuck and no fuel is getting into carbs. Keep spraying starting fulid in it and it will need more than the transom rebuilt!!! Dont try the seafoam as if a carb is stopped up that cylinder is not getting lubed!!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

First determine if the carbs are GETTING fuel.

Disconnect the fuel line after the fuel pump, point it into a suitable container and crank the motor, observe the pulsed fuel stream.

Reconnect the fuel line and pump the primer up firm, remove the float bowl drain plug from one carb at a time. Drain the float bowl and pump the primer to flush out any loose crud. Repeat for all carb drains, (6).

Remove the air box and cover the carb throat with the palm of your hand while cranking. The increased vaccuum may help pull fuel thru the idle and main passages, hopefully clearing them a bit. Repeat on each carb.

IF, you are successful in getting the motor to run, DO NOTattempt to run the motor much above an idle as without a through cleaning you cannot be sure the motor is not running lean and very well could damage bearings/piston/cyl from a lack of lube/lean condition.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, I nearly had a stroke when he told me he used starting fluid on it.
Although I guess that tells me it has at least some spark.

I'm hoping that just the fuel filter is plugged up, the first thing I will do is change it.
I am also planning to add oil to the fresh fuel he put in the empty tank, in case the oil injection isn't working.

Any advice on how to check that out? Other than running the engine for a while and seeing if the level goes down?

Then there is the problem of what to do with the 20 or so gallons of 2 year old gas in the other tank.
At the rate I use gas for the lawnmower and weedwhacker, thats about 4 years of gas.......

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Oil injection rarely has problems on this model. Go over to tradebit.com and see if they have a manual for it and print out the fuel/carb and oil sytems to take with you. Since the oil is premixed and sent to carbs and engine has set this long the needles or floats are stuck shut as the fuel evaporates and leaves the oil makng a gooey gum residue.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the floats are gummed shut, is it possible to get the bowls off, or the carbs off without disturbing the linkage adjustments?

The link & sync procedure sounds complicated and is not something I feel comfortable taking on with the boat in a lift/in the water with limited tools.....

I have to get her going enough to prove to the wife (the holder of the checkbook) that the motor is good.
The boat is free, and as long as the motor is good, it's worth more than it will cost to get the transom fixed.
The trick here is to not ruin a potentially good motor trying to prove it's good.

If nothing else, I'll get away from the snow for a couple of days........

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

Looks like I got lucky. Changed the filters and with a little help from a bit of premix gas shot into the carb throats, she fired right up.

The inline filter showed no signs of any gunk inside, but I changed it anyway. It was completely dry inside. Maybe someone had the forethought to run her dry 2 years ago.

I ran her from a gallon can of premix for about 5 minutes, then I changed the water seperator filter and ran her from the tank with the fresh fuel for about another 10 or 15.

I need to get new batteries, but I'll do that when I come back down to haul her out.
Friday I head up to St Petersburg to see about the trailer.

Now all I need is for the snow to stop.......
Thanks for the info guys.