Lockable fuel cap

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This summer I am going to be staying for a few days at a lakeside resort cabin, with my boat moored at a communal dock close by. The owners have already advised me to "padlock" my boat to the dock, and so I am also thinking of ways to make other things secure. I have already looked at iboats for locking fuel caps but the few that are there have the alloy neck included. What I really want is just the locking cap. Is there such a thing available? If not, is exchanging the filler "neck" easy or really difficult.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: Lockable fuel cap

Not to be a smart *** or anything but maybe it's time for a different resort. I hope they're advising you as an "extra special precaution," and not out of true necessity.
Cutting a padlock and towing a boat away is probably a lot easier and quieter than siphoning fuel.

Have you checked an auto parts store. Not sure if the threads/size would be the same but they sell locking caps that I'm pretty sure are under $20.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got from perko,the problem is getting the right thread,I don' think that they are starndard.I also put the primer bulb under the locking deck hatch in the back, very easy too just cut the fuel line an pump away. Your not going too stop someone that is dead sit on getting the gas but I am sure they will move too any easy target.That filler tube took me about 15 min's too get off, the boat is a 1989 so it was on there for a long time

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im thinking that the fuel tank is below the waterline..so siphon is kinda hard to do.

They would have to pump it out.

I would think a locking cap would have to have a specific neck to match.

YD.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

This is an insert made by perko that goes underneath the cap. It fits into the opening itself. No need to change anything. The key is the handle. It cannot fall into the fuel tube. I used one on my boat and it works fantastic.fl.jpg

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about a ball valve in the fuel filler hose, pretty hard to get a siphon hose past it when its closed