Johnson 1982 15hp Drive Shaft O-ring and Retainer

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice
18.jpg

Motor: Johnson, J15RCNC, 1982 15hp.

I don't know if the picture uploaded or not, but if it did then please see it for reference. I'm trying to figure out the oil retainer that is in the exhaust housing that the Drive Shaft goes through. It just fell out and I found it on the drive shaft when I dropped the LU. Apparently I busted it up putting the drive shaft back in last time. There appears to be only one retainer, seated with the open-end facing down. Does this sound correct?

Also, the diagram shows an O-ring apparently on the Drive Shaft, but there wasn't one there previously. When I tried it out I found that the O-ring included in my water pump kit (which I'm assuming is the replacement), when on the Drive shaft, doesn't fit through the oil retainer. So... it seems it's one or the other, or else I have the wrong O-ring and its too thick.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for the help.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 1982 15hp Drive Shaft O-ring and Retainer

Part number 39 is the drive shaft seal that sits in the top of the impeller housing with the open side facing down. The o-ring goes at the top of the driveshaft (after you have installed the impeller and housing and seal. There should be a thin groove around the outside of the driveshaft just below the splines where the o-ring sits.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Oldcat, Agreed.

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so now I have to figure out where the seal/retainer that appeared on my driveshaft came from. Logically I'm certain that it came from the housing that the drive shaft fits into, but according the the diagrams there's no retainer, only an O-ring. Again, the O-ring does not fit through the retainer; so what the heck?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just looked at another diagram and it looks like that seal goes into your water pump hsg. After that is installed you then put the o-ring on the gruve on top of the d/s.

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice

Just in case someone else uses this thread for info, I'll give my results.

Despite what the diagram shows, there are 2 seals in the housing that my drive shaft fits into, within the exhaust housing. These seals were torn and unseated by me forcing the drive shaft through them, not knowing they were there.

The diagrams show an o-ring on the drive shaft, but I didn't have one previously and although there is a space for it on the shaft, it is not apparently possible to fit the o-ring through the seals. I'm going with the seals and no o-ring because the seals worked before. They're placed back to back, or closed sides together.

Helpful tip, I needed something to push the seals in with and found that an old pool stick that unscrews in the middle fit perfectly.

AlTn

Commander

looks like the back to back seals are part no. 24 in the diagram..as oldcat and boobie state the small O ring goes in the groove at the top of the d/s..after all else is assembled

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just in case someone else uses this thread for info, I'll give my results.

Despite what the diagram shows, there are 2 seals in the housing that my drive shaft fits into, within the exhaust housing. These seals were torn and unseated by me forcing the drive shaft through them, not knowing they were there.

The diagrams show an o-ring on the drive shaft, but I didn't have one previously and although there is a space for it on the shaft, it is not apparently possible to fit the o-ring through the seals. I'm going with the seals and no o-ring because the seals worked before. They're placed back to back, or closed sides together.

Helpful tip, I needed something to push the seals in with and found that an old pool stick that unscrews in the middle fit perfectly.

Personally I'd follow the diagram!! The seals go in under the water pump,then the shaft,water pump assembly then the O-ring on the top of the d/shaft. Reading other threads here,,,I see some saying their shaft is stuck in the engine case due to no O-ring seal. water enters and it seizes up.