1989 Johnson 200 Idling around 1800 RPM

SparkieBoat

Captain
I just replaced the power pack and the timing base, also put a new regulator on it a couple of months ago. the engine idles at around 1800 RPM in the water..after running for a while I stopped for a few minuets and it started idling perfectly at around 800 RPM. I stopped again in a few minuets and it was idling high again. Engine runs great and I do not think I have a carb issue. Timing base is retarding all the way back and linkage seems correct. did I miss something when I installed timing base maybe?? engine runs great other than this.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 Johnson 200 Idling around 1800 RPM

Could it be a sticky throttle cable?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

I not sure if its on your Year however if it does see below..
The hi-idle on a warm re-start is normal, it's the Quick Start system. Every time you start the engine, QuickStart electronically advances ignition timing 10 degrees until the engine warms up. If the engine is already warm, it de-activates after about 5 to 7 seconds.

SparkieBoat

Captain

no, the throttle cable is returning to full idle position and so is linkage...I have not check the timing yet..but it is odd that it went to a perfect idle once then back to the high idle

SparkieBoat

Captain

it could be quick start not working properly..that would explain why it started idling perfectly once. it is not stopping the high idle even after 5 mins and idles high even after running the motor and coming back to idle..quick start is supposed to shut off when you go over a certain RPM or engine reaches a certain temp..if it is this it is not shutting off. So If I disconnect the orange orange/black wires will quick start not work anymore???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Don't run the mtr with the orange orange/black wires disconnected and have an open circuit. You could pop the power coil. Have you put a timing lite on it when it was doing it and checking what the timing was ?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

quickstart is a black/white wire coming off the temp switch (I forget which bank, but only one of the temp senders has it). To disable quickstart, simply disconnect that black/white at the connector.

without quick start, you'll just have to do like the rest of us & lift the hi-idle lever for cold starts........

[edit..... and ground it to the block. forgot that part. Thanks boobie....]

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To disable QS you have to disconnect the black/white wire going to the temp sender on the port bank and Ground it out to the block.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks guys..I been out of town..I will check the timing monday..with QS connected and disconnected..see if it changes. Thanks again Sparkie

To disable QS you have to disconnect the black/white wire going to the temp sender on the port bank and Ground it out to the block.

There's also a yellow/red wire with a bullet connector inside the power pack. That wire comes from the solenoid and initiates quick start for 5 seconds each time the engine is cranked regardless of engine temperature.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good point Metric. If there is any "stray voltage" from the yellow/red wire comeing from the solenoid it will also effect QS. Disconnect that wire and see what happens.

SparkieBoat

Captain

disconnecting and then grounding the black/white wire coming from power pack to temp sensor solved my problem. I still get quick start for the first 5 secs then it idles down like I wanted it to. Thanks for the great info guys.

jonesg

Admiral

disconnecting and then grounding the black/white wire coming from power pack to temp sensor solved my problem. I still get quick start for the first 5 secs then it idles down like I wanted it to. Thanks for the great info guys.

So the temp sensor is bad?

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not sure...it did not do this before I put the new power pack and timing base on...so I am thinking maybe the power pack may have defective QS...it is not a big deal as long as that is the only problem cause I could care less for QS..I was having a problem last time out with that same side running hot because of a partially clogged t-stat, and the buzzer did go off before the head got too hot. I cleaned the t-stat and it seems fine now. so I assume that the sensor was ok as far as that goes..not really sure why I had to ground the black/white wire. I will do some further checking..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The reason you have to ground out the black/white is to get it out of Q/S. If the cyl is not warming up or you have a bad temp sender it will not come of Q/S. If the t-stat was clogged up that bank was maybe running to cool and not letting it come out of Q/S.