DSC Class D or SC101... How do you know which you have?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
VHF radios sold in the USA must have DSC CLASS D or higher starting March 25 2011.
VHF RADIOS THAT HAVE DSC SC101 AFTER MARCH 25 2011 MAY NOT BE SOLD, IMPORTED, OR INSTALLED IN THE USA AFTER THAT DATE.
SO BE CAREFUL BUYING A VHF RIGHT NOW AS MANY DEALERS ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF THEIR SC101 RADIOS BEFORE MARCH 25 2011.

Rather then hijack, I'll ask it here. How do you know which DSC format you have? I have a Uniden Polaris, which came with my boat. I have no idea when it was purchased, but it doesn't look more then a couple years old. Can't seem to find the answer on Google.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: DSC Class D or SC101... How do you know which you have?

Check your manual, or contact Uniden with the serial number. Bear in mind SC101 radios will not be illegal on Mar 25, they may not be sold, imported, or installed. Mine works just fine today, it will work just as well on Mar 26, and be just as legal ... ;)

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: DSC Class D or SC101... How do you know which you have?

I agree with Outsider.
I checked Goggle also and found many references to DSC but none said Class D so it is probably SC101.
When a radio is Class D they usually tell you because it is worth more.

As Outsider said it will still work.
The thing is for it to pick up a DSC Distress call it must be on channel 70 when the call is sent. Since the call only takes about 1/3 of a second you just about have to listen to channel 70 all the time. OfCourse you are also required to listen to Channel 16.

You can still send a DSC distress call and all the other poles just fine.