Just bought Volvo Penta AQ130/270 Outdrive on a Ranger Riverboat 17ft

rocky01

Cadet
Hey thanks in advance for all replies/help.
Not new to forum.New to this type of boat.
Got an ok deal I know boat needs work not total junk

Question:
How do I know if water is coming thru intake on lower unit?
Engine runs but when in idle it dies, adjustment or new kit?

Observing water strainer and water has trouble coming thru into from
intake, checked impeller by water pump and is good.
Any ideas?
Forgive my ignorance i'm a novice to anything mechanical.

Thanks,
Steve in Vegas!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just bought Volvo Penta AQ130/270 Outdrive on a Ranger Riverboat 17ft

Steve,
First thing is to get hold of a manual. Seloc will be a good start but someone will be along soon with a link to the OEM manual.

To get water up to the engine, it needs to come from the bottom of the outdrive. You can use a large tub or muffs. If using muffs, you'll need to block the lower hole in the outdrive or it'll just run out there. If you can't get water to the engine that way, then you'll have to start troubleshooting. You'll know if you have water through the engine because it'll be coming out the exhaust with the engine running.

Remember that the water has to come all the way from the bottom of the outdrive to get to the pump suction on the engine. Any leaks in the path will allow air to be sucked in and you won't get water to the pump.

Common leakage points include:
1) Muffs not hooked up properly or weep hole not plugged
2) Water fitting on intermediate housing corroded
3) Hose on water fitting cut
4) Strainer leaking

Once you get a manual and start exploring how the engine and outdrive systems work, you'll be able to ask more specific questions and people will be able to give you better help.

As far as rough idle - could be a bunch of things from basic tuneup to junk in the fuel or carbs. Be prepatred to spend some money on the basics to get it running before you can do any serious troubleshooting. Points, plugs, cap, and wires are a good place to start.

Once you get the water hooked up the right way, let us know how it works so we can help you out.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll second what pirate said, these things need to be tuned to spec.

Twin carbs without chokes, it's going to be a learning process for you.

Let's see some pics!!!!!!

rocky01

Cadet

I did put earmuffs on and also a tub test. I also have manual.
When you say weep hole where is it located? A diagram would help.
Also how much water goes thru exhaust,a steady stream? Or trickle when on muffs?
I did have someone do a general inspection(mobile mech) he said more pressure is created when in lake. he also said carb needs adjusting. I am looking for second, third opinions...

Thanks Pirate.

sqbtr

The weep hole is straight out the bottom of the drive. If you tried it in a tub there is something else sucking air.

Follow the cooling path, the water neck may look good but break off in your hand. If you are still running the original strainer the lower housing may be corroded under that 30plus year old rubber.

From the impeller the water goes to the oil cooler, good to check every thirty years or so for obstructions, only cost you three o-rings.

From the oil cooler the water is circulated through the exhaust manifold, if this boat has seen any salt water might be a good idea to pull the manifold end and elbow to check for corrosion or blockage.

The manifold feeds the thermostat housing through four small holes that a copper manifold plugs into, check the ports for blockage.

There is no circ pump on this engine, the impeller does everything.

Lots of places for the system to leak, those little tube seals are expensive too...

Here's a link to good parts schematics

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If you want to bypass the outdrive for now, here's a way to check the strainer and the pump itself to see if it's putting out pressure:
P1010153.JPG
The danger to this is that you're not testing the full system and you MUST eventually test the water path from the outdrive. If you place the "T" where I have, you're not going to get water to the engine unless it's turning over so no worries about flooding the cylinders from the exhaust valves.

When running, you should get quite a bit of water out of the exhaust.

BTW - If you want to see pictures of a clean looking engine and boat, click on sqbrt's project. I'm allmost embarassed to show mine after seeing his. Good job!

captmello

Captain

Man, that engine is filthy. :D

You just have to go though the whole cooling system, I know I did...

My old '67 aq120, the original raw water cooled, like the 130, didn't have a strainer at all.

If you are a novice, like you said, You may want to just have it checked by a mechanic.

Nothing cheap or easy about boats. But those old VP's will go a long time.

rocky01

Cadet
Re: Just bought Volvo Penta AQ130D/270-280? Outdrive on a Ranger Riverboat 17ft

Thanks for the info, I will post pics soon. Previous owner had maintenance records but that
does not tell whole story. It is more comforting to know that someone actually cared for it and done some regular service. It looks ok and only paid 800, oh well we'll see.

Thanks.

rocky01

Cadet

I made an error in engine type it's a AQ130D/280. On engine plate but outdrive says 270?
I want to show pics but I don't have a URL.

sqbtr

I use photobucket, you can resize and link from there.

270-275 have the exhaust outlet hung below the antiventilation plate.

280 the anti vent plate is the exhaust outlet.

Could be a mix between the two, never know what a PO might have done

The part # for the trans is on a plate just aft of the drive bellows

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You can also post pictures as thumbnails. Click on "advanced" at the bottom of the reply text box and you can upload from your hard drive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The lower unit is a 280 for sure, hard to say about the upper. If you look at the upper gear box just in front of the top cap, there should be a number tag, what are the numbers on it.

rocky01

Cadet

Don S.,
I know what you're talking about, I did see that it's painted over and i kind of scrubbed paint off but
numbers were coming off too. I will check carefully later. I know the Aq130's are similar but are the outdrives? Also did run it on muffs again and water does come thru exhaust but I do suspect
there is a air leak or something, not sure just might be paranoid. Does not overheat.

sqbtr

I noticed the fuel pump is gone, is the electric one wired correctly? Is the fuel line marine approved?

Is that a fuse or circuit breaker mounted on the side of the starter?Check to see if it's ignitition protected.

You can stick a clear hose between transom and strainer and check for air bubbles. I see a lot of sealer around the outside of the transom shield. Is the transom solid?

And someone painted it black.........sacrilege

Sweet looking boat!!!!!!!!!! Looks fast just sitting there.

rocky01

Cadet

I know that the transom has problems but not done yet. I want to get through spring and summer
then replace it. When I checked out boat I did notice that fuel pump was electric and bolted on transom, is this bad? Looks like they did a good job on pump, but what do I know...
I will check that wiring by starter. Will have more info later.

sqbtr

The electric fuel pump would only be a problem if it's NOT marine rated ie ignitition protected. It needs to be wired so it only runs when the engine is cranking or running.

The alternator appears to have either been upgraded to a marine Delco or downgraded to an automotive Delco.

rocky01

Cadet

I got that old sealant removed and put 5200 sealant on there, it held.
Water is coming thru fine but I have a few issues.

#1: Water is dripping from impeller.
#2: Seal at oil cooler is leaking where copper pipe meets.
#3: Water strainer lower housing leaks.
#4: When I throttle the boat it gets going,then hesitates,then will go full on.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I'll take a stab at a few of these:
1) I'm assuming you're referring to the raw water pump on the front of the engine. If it's leaking from the weep hole back by the shaft, then you've most likely got bad seals and you'll need to rebuild the pump and hope that the shaft isn't scored too badly. If it's from the cover, replace the gasket, then gently and evenly snug down the screws. Permatex #3 will also work for awhile until you get a new gasket.

2) If you're talking about the inlet pipe, you'l need to try to reseat it first and also check that the hold down screw under the throttle cable bracket is in fact there. If that screw is missing and the line lets go, you'll have full raw pump flow filling up the bilge. A really bad thing if you're a long ways away from shore! At the inlet line itself, it's a square cut ring and the water line just sits in the housing. You may need a new ring (gasket) as well.

3) That strainer is a royal pain in the rear but you need to fix the leaks since it's on the suction side. Carefully dissassemble and make sure you don't tear any of the internal rubber parts - you won't like the price of replacements - if you can even get them. Just look close to find the misplaced or cocked rubber parts.

4) Throttle problem sounds like the accelerator pumps not properly adjusted.

Keep plugging away at it. Sounds like you're making progress.

rocky01

Cadet

Replying to:

#2: In the schematics it's #20 sealing ring, looks like they used something else like sealant(turquoise colored) part# 418411. I will replace.

#3: Can I use something else to strain water, I thought I saw someone with a glass filter mod.
I know OEM would be better but I searched and can't find anything.

Last edited: