Pontoon Supports

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
I currently trailer my 24',1984 JC Tritoon, M/C 470 I/O. I have a leak in my center toon. I need to lift the boat off the trailer and support it with stands high enough to be able to work under the boat to do the repairs.
I thought I had seen in the past on this forum suggestions for lifting boats from the trailer and several plans for stands to support the boat while off the trailer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon Supports

Unless you know the leak is on top of a bunk, I would first determine the location of the leak(s). With a little luck, you may not need to lift it because most leaks are at a seam.
I've never lifted a boat from the bunks and even though I have several ideas, so I'll leave that to more the more experieced guys. But I think I would consider lifting the bow and stern one at the time.

Jeep Man

Commander

Have your boat sitting on the bunks with a foot or so hanging over the back of the bunks. Lower the tongue all the way to the ground. Use 2' lengths of 4x4 to block up under the rear of each pontoon. Use a stacking box pattern for stability. Now raise the tongue as high as you can with the tongue jack. Run a 12' length of steel pipe,4x4 or sistered 2x4. 2x6, across under the bow and block up each end with more 2' lengths of 4x4 like at the stern. Lower the jack and roll the trailer out. Add some safety blocks under the front of the pontoons before working underneath.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have your boat sitting on the bunks with a foot or so hanging over the back of the bunks. Lower the tongue all the way to the ground. Use 2' lengths of 4x4 to block up under the rear of each pontoon. Use a stacking box pattern for stability. Now raise the tongue as high as you can with the tongue jack. Run a 12' length of steel pipe,4x4 or sistered 2x4. 2x6, across under the bow and block up each end with more 2' lengths of 4x4 like at the stern. Lower the jack and roll the trailer out. Add some safety blocks under the front of the pontoons before working underneath.

What a nifty idea!!! I knew an expert would jump in here!