Mouse poison and pets

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I keep a small amount of mouse poison in the garage all through the winter months. Usually just a spoon full placed in little plastic tubs or lids. Lately our dog has been sniffing around the poison and we are afraid she might eat it when we are not looking.

My solution was to put the poison in a plastic bottle. The type with a 1.5" wide neck so the mice can get in and out easy. Gatorade 8 oz bottles are just the right size. This worked well, as our dog won't mess with the plastic bottles, and they can be put in tight places where its hard for a pet to get them out. The mice have been eating the poison, and its easy to see when the poison is gone through the clear plastic bottles.

Now we don't have to worry about Daisy eating poison, and the mice can still get to the poison easy. A win/win.

swl

Seaman
Re: Mouse poison and pets

so simple it's brilliant! fancy up the gatorade bottle and get a patent.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Not a big fan of poison, to many pets that eat wild critters around here.

Our chicken coup gets or did get overrun with mice every winter, so we took a 5 gallon pail a dowl to go across the top and a large tomato juice can that we punched holes in at the centers of both ends.
dowl goes threw the center of the can, peanut butter is applied to the center of the can, mouse climbs on to can for a bite, can spins over mouse falls in pail and can not climb out. (add water and they drown if it is not freezing)

gss036

Commander

I just put out several packs of Decon in my shop and on the boat. I got the boat and went fishing yesterday to find the critters made a mess in the boat and had eaten into a vacuum seal plastic bag and ate up 3 of my flares, sure it did them in as the red junk was all over my cushion. The also bit holes in 2 qts of hydro fluid and it ran all over. I think I love poison at this point. ;0

QC

Supreme Mariner

Definitely be careful with any of that stuff. We lost our first Lab to rodent poison. Placed out in a field near the house by a City contractor, we think he was eating it for a few days as we let him run out there. We got him to the Vet, and they thought they had saved him, but it was too late . . .

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Don't leave snail bait laying around either. It will kill an animal quicker then rat poison. If your pet eats poison and you catch it right away you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. Force an ounce or more for larger dogs down their throat and they will commence to barfing in about 5 minutes.
I've put rat pellets in front of my dog to see if they would eat em in and they won't. The only time I use the stuff is when I can place it inside walls or someplace similar.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It might have been a perfect storm of varmints. I put some rat poison in my garden shed to get rid of mice. A very young skunk got in there and ate one or more dead mice. Skunk then got really upset about his bellyache and wedged himself under the floor to spray and die. It was months before I could lift the shed and remove what had become a mummified skunk.

I now use traps that can't harm anything bigger than a mouse.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

We let the animals be if they stay outside (and outside the boat). The garage is the first line of defense. If they are not stopped in the attached garage, they are soon in the house. Hence the poison in the garage. No poison is outside, even in the boat. The boat has moth balls, and that has been working 100% to date.

Brokenrod

Seaman

The active ingredient in most mouse baits is an anticoagulant. Decon is either Brodifacoum, or Bromadialone. For the mouse, its an acute poison- If he takes one bite, it could take 10 days , or if he take 10 bites, it could take a day- Either way he's dead. If you see green mouse turds, thats a guaranteed dead mouse- he ate the bait. I'm not sure about homeowners, but i know that for licensed exterminators it is illegal to place bait in an open area where other creatures can get to it. Here is a link to some of the most commonly used baitstations- and they are reusable. http://tomcatbrand.com/product_line/3-bait-stations

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Most homeowners do not buy bait stations like in the above post. Put regular poison pellets in a bottle as described above and the mice will soon be dead. A full tray of mice poison is often ferried away to the nest. The mice dies, and your entire purchase of poison is now hidden away somewere. That is why only a spoon full of poison is set out at a time when mice are present.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I use the bait blocks in my garage and around the exterior of my house. Being concerned with a pet getting into it, even the stray cats that I despise, I try to put it in places out of reach. I usually stick it in a piece of pipe and put it along the edge of a wall.

Brokenrod

Seaman

Most homeowners do not buy bait stations like in the above post.
Which is part of the reason that homeowners are responsible for more accidental poisoning of non target animals than Licensed exterminators. as an alternative method, you could take an 12" piece of pvc pipe and curl a glueboard w/ peanuts in the center of it in there. the longer the better- rodents like the security of the pipe. place it against the baseboards or by the entrys. Its a passive way of trapping, but you wont have to look under everything to find where the dead mouse smell is coming from.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

As was said, we target the mouse, the mouse gets the poison and heads back to the nest, cat also targets mouse has snack and bites the big one.
Thats why I prefer trapping and killing the furry little B#%$#@^% !!!!

gss036

Commander

I just put out several packs of Decon in my shop and on the boat. I got the boat and went fishing yesterday to find the critters made a mess in the boat and had eaten into a vacuum seal plastic bag and ate up 3 of my flares, sure it did them in as the red junk was all over my cushion. The also bit holes in 2 qts of hydro fluid and it ran all over. I think I love poison at this point. ;0

My shop is completely enclosed and we don't have pets. I checked the boat today and found one of the packets about 1/2 gone, hope so is the mice.