Bay fishing, coast guard approved......

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at taking my boat with me this year on our semi-annual trip to Virginia. Every year we say we would like to take it, but since I have moved up to a bigger boat, we finally feel confident in taking it :p

Anyway, we will mostly be using it to cruise the channels and maybe out into the bay a little, mostly to do some fishing (last time we went we caught a ton of shark, flounder, black bass, etc from the pier so were going to get out in deeper waters now and try our luck). I want the boat to be as safe as possible, and have any and all needed things on board to make it coast guard approved. There is a major base there and in the off chance we get stopped and inspected, I want to make sure we are good.

What kind of things should I be looking to buy? I know life jackets for everyone is a biggey, but what else? Emergency whistle? Small ship-to-shore radio? We will never be out of sight of land, and probably within a few hundred yards at all times.

Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bay fishing, coast guard approved......

Let us know where in Virginia you will be, your boat info and # passengers, and we can give better advice.

First, you have to comply with USCG regs for safety equipment--get the list, check it twice. You should have received one at your boating safety class. What, no class? Take one.

You will likely get stopped and searched, not that that is the primary reason to be equipped correctly. Add a waterproof flashlight.

#1: Have the proper anchor. If you get in trouble, you want to stay put, not drift into the many busy shipping channels, out to sea, on to a flat, or against the "death fence" at one of the several Navy bases. After you anchor you can deal with just about anything.

Cell phones work on most of the bay. However, they are too fragile to rely on--one splash and they are out of commission.

A hand-held VHF is good for talking to other boats within sight, including that tanker bearing down on you, so he can remind you that he can neither stop nor swerve. But because the area is well travelled in the season, you don't really have to have a radio. I boated for decades without one and have never needed the ones I now have. (That's "needed." I love having them. And I'd say "need" for night time, off shore and winter time boating.)

this is one of the best areas in the world for pleasure boating. Several regulars here are in the area. So send more info and we can set you up.

Also get on tidalfish.com.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

I got a nice anchor for christmas already, that was important for fishing up here too.

We're headed to Chincoteague Island, most fishing will be done in the channel between the mainland, and between Chincoteague and Assateague. We've been going for years, and taking either charter trips or just dinner cruises. This is the year we will be doing these on out own.

The boat is a 17ft tri-hull (front hull is a deeper V), 85 horse. We will most like just have my girlfriend and I on board with the dog. A few friends may stop down for a day or so, so at most there may be 4 of us.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

OK--sea side boating is a little different than bay boating--I do both, was up there last weekend and going again tomorrow, about 20 miles south of where you will be.

You need a shove pole; an oar (not paddle) will do. And a paddle. The anchor is #1; the shove pole #2. Be sure you have a light in case you get stuck out there after dark.

The channel markers are for historical purposes; don't rely on them. Charts are worthless for bars, points, depths and anything underwater, but good to have for the land, creek configuration, etc.

Small creeks are usually deep and large bays are usually shallow, as in less than a foot at low tide. (last weekend I had to shove a 19' boat in 20 mph winds about 1/4 mile across a bay). You have a 3-4' tide there, which can be affected on top of that by wind (NE brings high tides; W brings low.) NOAA has the charts on line, and they broadcast the tide charts every hour or so on the local radio station 101.3 FM.

If you beach the boat, either on sand or in the marsh, leave it floating so you won't get caught by the tide.

When you run aground, pull up the engine and shove back out; be mindful of water shipping over the transom. Some bottoms are hard sand and some are bottomless mud known as Chincoteague glue. So don't be too quick to jump out and walk the boat. Notice I said "when" and not "if".

USCG is at Chincoteague so a hand-held VHF will be fine. Fishermen are on 68 but are not talkative. Cells can be iffy; Verizon works better than ATT there, but a new tower is going up.

The currents in the ocean inlets can be very strong so be careful. Lots of drop offs and bars, standing waves and rips. they are easier to read going out than coming in. Most of your flounder fishing will be done drifting the inlets so watch where you are and be ready to roll up and move in an instant. I never use the anchor fishing for flounder.

Summer: Some of the islands restrict dogs due to nesting birds; be sure to have a leash.

And bug spray by the gallon. But don't let the bug spray on your hands get on your bait.

Despite all this it's the most wonderful place in the world; one of the "Last Great Places". 70 miles of undeveloped coastline. You might want to trailer south (Gargathy, Wachapreague) and get away from the crowds.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the tips! My lake at home is very shallow and muddy in spots so I already have an oar/push pole with me. Like I said we've been going there for years, so we are aware of the crowds and such. We went this same week last time and it was perfect. 80+ everyday, mosquitos just starting so not horrible, water was warm enough for good fishing, and the crowds had not started to get bad yet. I will look into the USCG safety equipment. It has been a while since I have takin a boating class, so I will be signing up for a refresher this spring!